CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Re-Set

Fantasy baseball.

The only place I've ever seen a trade like this made, yet it happened in real life as Beckett, Crawford, Gonzo, and for some weird reason Nick Punto all get traded to the Dodgers for James Loney and some prospects (some of which are reported to be pretty good).

I get that it needed to happen; Beckett wore out his welcome about 2 years ago and even though I've always  liked the guy and probably always will? I get why people are glad he's gone; I'm a fan, but I'm not stupid.

Crawford never got out of the starting blocks with Boston due to injuries and general bad luck, and I hope a move to the West Coast (where he probably wishes he'd gone when the Angels came calling anyway) will do him a world of good.

It's Gonzo I'm really going to miss; a guy in his prime with the sweetest swing since Ted Williams and he played First like he owned it. He's going to mash for the next few years until, like all of us, Father Time finally catches up and he becomes a mere mortal.

Gonna be interesting to see what management does or doesn't do with all that extra money they suddenly have.

One thing you can say for sure; it's never boring in Red Sox Nation.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Josh saw this last night and commented that you probably would not be happy. I hate it when my teams lose, by trade or retirement, the players I love.

Mike Lowell, Kevin Youklis, or Jason Varitek, anyone?

Ted D said...

Not happy but understand why they did it. If they do the right things it will be fine. Problem is, I'm not sure they will.

~**Dawn**~ said...

I enjoyed Adrian, but I don't think he was ever truly comfortable or happy playing in Boston. (I saw a headline go by on Twitter this morning that he blamed his "power outage" on Fenway, but I didn't click through to read.) And I think Boston ate Crawford alive. Unfortunate, but I think they will be happier in a place that isn't the same intensity as Boston or New York. Some guys, no matter how talented, just aren't equipped to play in this kind of environment.

Ted D said...

Dawn,

I agree about Crawford but if that is what Gonzo said he should be ashamed. How does Fenway hurt a left handed power hitter?

~**Dawn**~ said...

I just went and found the link again, this time to read. Here's the quote:

"What took my power away was the Green Monster," he said of the 37-foot wall at Boston's Fenway Park, also according to the Times. "I used to hit line drives and they would be doubles. That took away five home runs from me last year. So I would have 32."

Read more at: http://www.nesn.com/2012/08/adrian-gonzalez-says-boston-media-didnt-like-he-was-calm-person-blames-fenway-for-power-outage.html