CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 11, 2012

The Commander? Not Anymore.


*Image courtesy of Kelly and www.sittingstill.net*


I've never hid the fact that I've always been a huge fan of Josh Beckett. Going back to 2003 when he sent the Yankees home in the World Series all the way until yesterday he's been one of my favorite players. I loved the gunslinger attitude, the competitiveness whenever he was on the mound and his bull dog mentality when it came to doing his job.

Yeah, he could be a horses ass at times. And yes the "I'm a jock and I know it" act got old at times but he always reminded me of a guy who could have pitched in any decade and pitch well. The fact he always took responsibility whenever he came out and laid an egg on the mound always went a long way too.

Yesterday I lost some, actually quite a bit of respect for Beckett. Not because he gave up 7 runs in less than two innings. Not because he played golf on his off day last week when the team skipped his turn in the rotation for a lat issue. Guys have bad games; it happens. And pitchers playing golf on their off day probably goes back to Babe Ruth, although I doubt he'd let a thing like golf get in the way of his serial drinking.

No, what really bothered me was this exchange he had with reporter Gordon Edes.


Question (paraphrased): Did the golf business have any impact on how you pitched?
Answer: None. None.
Question: Anything to say about the golf business?
Answer: No. I spend my off days the way I want to spend them.
Question: Any regrets?
Answer: My off day is my off day.
Question: Given that you were skipped a start with what was described as a tight lat muscle, do people have the right to question why you were golfing?
Answer: Not on my off day.
Question: Do you understand the perception that leaves when the team is playing as poorly as it is?
Answer: We get 18 off days a year. I think we deserve a little time to ourselves.

Wrong. Dustin Pedroia gets 18 days off a year. YOU pitch in roughly 30 games so you get around 130 days a year off. And it wasn't about the golf; it was about you acting like a 5th grade child when a reporter asks you a perfectly legitimate question. It's about those other 24 guys on your team who are scuffling like crazy to get out of a season long rut where you can't win at home, can't win on the road, and are looking way up at the rest of the American League East.

In short?
You're a professional.
So grow up and act like one.

2 comments:

Section 36 said...

It was an off day. I have no problem with the answers.

Ted D said...

I get it was an off day. And playing golf wasn't the issue; but with the way they've started the season all he had to do was re-word what he said a little bit different and we're all talking about how Clay looks like he may have turned the corner on his season. He's playing in Boston, not Kansas City; when you're in that kind of fish bowl you have to know when stuff like this happens there are going to be questions.