CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

And we wonder why the OWS movement exists?

I went to pick up the steroid cream for Trot's Alopecia this afternoon and the conversation went as follows.

Me: "I'm here to get a prescription for Trot Dalton".

Her: "What was that first name again?"

Me: ::sigh:: "Trot".

Her: "Here it is. That'll be $662 dollars".

Me: "You have got to be s*&**^g me".

Her: "No. That is the cash price with someone with no insurance".

Me: "We HAVE Insurance".

After clearing THAT up it turns out we ONLY had to pay $64 dollars. As I drove back to work the more I thought about it the madder I got. Over $600 dollars for a tube of cream the size of Neosporin would have cost me that much if I hadn't had insurance?

Somewhere there is a single mom with no insurance with a kid with Alopecia. And she has to decide whether to pay the rent, buy groceries, make the car payment, or buy her kid a cream that will keep his hair from falling out.

Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with this picture.

2 comments:

sittingstill said...

In many ways I think health care is the great divide. There's the gap between those with insurance and those without, as you describe. There's the fact that even with insurance there's never any way to tell what anything truly costs. When my mom was in the hospital they gave her a bigger quad cane to take home and use as she worked to be ambulatory again. It showed up on the bill for her insurance at $162. I could get it for $32 on Amazon. Add to that the fact that our medical system focuses almost exclusively on keeping your heart beating at any cost, regardless of age, general health and ability to enjoy life, and we're running up a tab via Medicare that can never be paid. Scary stuff. I would gladly forfeit the right to extraordinary medical services if it meant everyone had basic care covered.

Also, even though it's old and blurry, I love that photo. That was a good day. ^_^

Ted D said...

Kelly, one day when I grow up I want to be you. Great point about no knowing what anything costs; the whole thing gives me a headache.

And I dig the picture too.