CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Adventures of Rakes: Episode 7


I've been reading to all three of my kids ever since they came home from the hospital, usually 3 books a night. I realize that when they were drooling on my hands or asleep at the time it really wasn't doing anything but I still did it. Not really sure why, just that I've always loved to read and somewhere in the back of my mind this would foster the same love of books in them.

So far it's worked with Ciera; girl will read at least 2 books a week and usually has about 5 different ones going at once. Trot likes a good book but give him the choice of Spongebob on tv or reading and he's taking the weird yellow sponge every time.

Rakes, on the other hand, loves books. So much so that he gets ticked if we DON'T read at night so the reading incentive lists he got when he started kindergarten was our personal Mt. Olympus. They got 4 reading lists, one due each quarter. We had all 4 knocked out by November, but we kept reading.

Last week he got a bonus list; if we finished it by March 15th he got a prize, which turned out to be a free ticket to an Elon University baseball game on the 21st of March. Did I mention their field is practically in my backyard?

Tonight, when we had our "So, what did you do at school today and recess doesn't count?" talk, I asked him did his teacher say anything about him finishing his bonus list so soon.

"Dad, she said "Let's give Rakes a hand, they all clapped, and me and you get to go to a BALL GAME!"

Considering I'm still expecting him to head the Gambino Family someday?

Today was a good day.

5 comments:

Rich in the Garage said...

The kid will be like me, reading crime and punishment for fun.

I hope you have health insurance, your ticker is in for a ride.

Ted D said...

Got it, Jr. And you're right; I'm in for a tilt a whirl.

Ted D said...

Got it, Jr. And you're right; I'm in for a tilt a whirl.

Rich in the Garage said...

More like the Gravitron, you'll be going around in circle 100 miles an hour stuck to the wall.

Ted D said...

God help me.