CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Cowboy Up Rakes


Today, while trying to figure out which Red Sox player each of kids remind me of (Super Bowl Sunday: there is only so many variations of "Will Peyton Manning FINALLY win the big game" I can take for 7 hours), I thought I had Rakes pegged as being like Manny. Kind of goofy, with shared characteristics of laughing, loss of focus, and love of pudding. But tonight, after the opening kick off return for a touchdown, he pulled a Kevin Millar on me that made me change my mind.
Millar, for anyone who doesn't know, played 1B for the Sox from 2003-2005. He also led the team in man hugs, changing his hair style the most, and the most different ways a man can groom his facial hair. That's him in the picture, man-hugging a clearly "uncomfortable with this type of affection" Jason Varitek. Note the swim goggles on Millars forehead: this was the game in 2005 where the Sox clinched the wild -card, and Millar is clearly thinking ahead to the champagne and beer fight upcoming in the clubhouse.
Anyway, after the Bears scored and they were showing the Bear players on the sideline celebrating, RB Cedric Benson, dreadlocks in full glory, went by on the screen. Rakes turns to me, serious as can be, and says: "Dad, me just daw Manny at de dootball dame", causing Ciera and me to instantly bust out laughing. That's when it hit me: Rakes is Millar. Millar used to say and do some of the goofiest, funniest stuff that kept the rest of the idiots loose and laughing. Stuff about Pedro and Manny's hair, or crack jokes to Papi whenever he took infield at first. My favorite one was "You better use that glove for self defense purposes only". Sure he could exasperate you with his stumbling around at first, or his habit of hitting into a DP in a clutch situation. Yeah, the nonstop talking would wear you out after a while. But then he would have a game where he hit 3 bombs vs. the Yankees, or would lace a double off the Monster. Or draw the walk in Game 4, putting Dave Roberts in to make "The Steal". Finally, look at any picture taken of any combination of Millar, Manny, and Papi. I challenge you to find one where at least one of them, most of the time all of them, are not roaring with laughter.
Rakes is JUST like that: he can say something like he did tonight that will put you in tears from laughing. Or at our Halloween carnival last year when he stood up on the picnic table, with that megaphone of a voice, and yells out "Look at dat witch Dad. Dat a dary witch". Hilarious when you remember he can't say W yet, so he substitutes B instead. We'll be playing baseball with his little plastic bat and ball, and when he gets a hold of one, he freezes, pimps a little, the flips his bat over his shoulder. When I ask him why, he says "Dat de bay Big Papi do it Dad". Makes me smile every time. Yeah, he can exasperate the very will to live out of you after you have told him for the 1 millionth time to stop jumping on his brother. Or when he dumps ALL the toys out in the toy room just for kicks. Getting his sister to run away, squealing in horror at something he does: High comedy for Rakes.
But he'll turn right around and give his Mom a hug for no reason. Or his little brother. His sister will be playing with him, and he'll be so excited she is, he'll holler "dmon dis, let's go" so many times even she will start to laugh. We have several pictures where Rakes has that same mischievous look that Millar has in the one here it's scary.
I still haven't figured out the other 2 yet. Right now, Trot is , well Trot Nixon. Tough as nails, perpetually banged up, and always diving or falling. In the big Trot's case, his is always by choice. Baby Trot, not so much. Ciera is Schill: opinionated, confident, smart, and good hearted. I'm still trying to decide for sure though.
Rakes? Millar, without a doubt.
Cowboy up Son.

24 comments:

Tex said...

ok this post made me LAUGH OUT LOUD so hard! I miss Millar so much! and deep in my heart, I know those on the 2004 team miss him too.

Ted D said...

I think Millar will be back someday, somehow. Him and Tom Carron on the pre game on NESN would be can't miss TV.

Tree Newt said...

Dude, Rakes IS Millar! That is classic! I can hear him now! He got me laughing on Friday. I was holding Trot, and he says "Undle Matt, dat my baby brudder." As he's saying this, he's staring up at me like "You best put him down, if you know what's good for you." Well, the wee man is the perfect height for a debilitating shot to the...er...you know...so I complied. He then proceeded to give Trot a great big bear hug, all the while saying "My baby brudder."

He is, truly, one of a kind!

Stacy said...

Since Millar didn't play last season, I'm not up to date on all his hijinks. (It was only in 2006 that I started getting the daily Sox update at work, complete with a visit to Surviving Grady.)

Rakes most definitely marches to the beat of his own drummer; he's one of a kind, and we love him for it. We've just got to get him to stop roughin' up little Trot. Poor kid looks like he's been on the losing end of a fight. I think Ciera is Tito; she thrives on telling everyone what their job is and the best way to do it! :)

Great post, little brother.

Tree Newt said...

Stacy, I think you're right. Ciera is Tito. She's quite the budding manager.

Ted D said...

Since it IS my blog, I figured I'd better check in!

Ciera as Tito? Hmm. Kinda figured Angie for that role, while I am Grady Little. Bumbling around, not really sure of what I'm doing, but still I've got a great team. Maybe thats just me.

Tex said...

I figured Stacy would sign off and say "Great Post Baby Brudder"

Ted D said...

Tex, what are you going on about? :)

Tex said...

Stacy posted this: Great post, little brother.

I figured she would post how Rakes talks. oh Go Watch Jack save the world

Ted D said...

Sorry, long day!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ted, I kinda of have you pegged as Ted Williams, All around good guy, hero in your own mind.And in 30 yrs your boys cut your head off and put it in the deep freeze!!!

Ted D said...

Bub, that could happen too!

With Rakes, it's actually more than likely that is how I end up!

KAYLEE said...

That is so cute.I think i am whoever likes to injure themselves the most.I know who I represent on the yankees.That would be Carl Pavano!LOL!

Tree Newt said...

So, I guess Ted doesn't read his own "brudder's" posts all the time. Wow...he hides his blog from me for a month, and now he's not even reading what I write. I see where I rank.

Ted D said...

I read what you wrote Matty! Thought I commented on it, but looking back, I wrote about Stacy's comment. Need to talk to that boy: had the perfect angle for the shot to the marbles and he let it pass. Got to get him to develop that killer instinct!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

I think he looked up and saw the MARBLES and just smiled!!

Stacy said...

HELLO? Ladies are reading this blog, you three!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Sorry Stacy, Does that mean you want us to translate what we mean by MARBLES?

Tree Newt said...

I'm glad my two OLDER brotherly infuences spelled out what was, I think, implied in my earlier post. Only guys think that way. Proof that you don't have to use crude language to get your point across...just leave it to the male mind to come to that conclusion.

Must confess: the thought of Rakes throwing me a strong uppercut to the...uh...er...you know, did cross my mind.

Ah, the power of the keystroke!

Stacy said...

No, it does not, Scotty. You three need to live up your reputation as gentlemen. (I'm giving you that rep now, so live up to it! :))

Ted D said...

Stacy, you are reading your brothers blog. You know how I talk sometimes. Marbles is about as clean as I can make it for you. I used it in the post also, so I don't know what to say!

Except: marbles!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

ted. whats the deal with JD Drew, is he or isn't he a redsox

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

I'm standing in the Lids store. My hand is on a redsoxs hat, can you get the ROCKET signed and I buy it!!!

Ted D said...

Bub, JD Drew is the RF. Signed, sealed, delivered.

Can't promise you the Rocket: He who has the most cash to give him will win. Sadly, I think he goes to NY and sells his soul to the devil.