CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 25, 2007

My Boys


I got to spend a lot of time with my two roughnecks this weekend. Angie and Ciera went shopping for about 4 hours yesterday(how you can shop for 4 hours is beyond me, but that's OK) and me and the heirs to the throne spent the afternoon together. On Sunday, I taught Rakes children's church class, then Angie and Ciera left again for a few hours. Just like clockwork, Rakes and Trot woke up within 2 minutes of each other from their naps.
To be brothers, so far, they are as different as Manny and Jason Varitek. Rakes is loud, wild, funny, and as goofy as a mental patient. Trot is quiet, stocky, cautious, and tough as a box of rusty nails. And as I watch them play and grow, I think to myself, "My God, what have you gotten yourself into?" My daughter Ciera is my little princess, the one who is polite, obedient, and Daddy's little girl. These 2 he-men are aliens to me: balls to the wall hooligans just looking for trouble.
Then I remember: I was probably like that once upon a time. My Mom tells me I used to run around with the vacuum cleaner hose playing "Emergency". I hear I also liked to stick a drumstick down my shorts to play "Tarzan", though I adamantly deny this ever happened. My sister's tell tales of doom about what Matt and I did to them, but I figure they are all old and don't remember the facts all that clear! Just kidding ladies: I don't want a total boycott of the blog or anything to happen!
I think about my children, and the crazy world we live in now. Stephen King said it best: We all are living on Osama Mean Time now, and raising children in that world is scary beyond words. Be polite, respect your elders, love your God and your country, and be a Red Sox fan for life. That's what I'm trying to pass on to my girl and boys. It ain't easy, and thinking about how messed up the world will be in 5, 10, or 15 years from now is something I push to the back recesses of my feeble little mind.
At the end of the day, no matter how tired, or exhausted, or wore out I am, the bottom line is I love my kids. Ciera is my princess, and the 2 little hooligan's are my boys. I hope I can be a good Dad to all of them. I hope they will grow up and marry well. I hope they all will be life long Sox fans.
Most of all, I hope they know their Dad loves them very much. That I am proud of them. And that no matter what they do, or what they say, at the end of the day, they will know that their Dad has their back.
I hope.

12 comments:

Tex said...

I should be asleep but this being off from work has got my sleeping patterns all out of whack!!

In our wildest dreams, we could never think what our kids will be like...all we can do is what you are talking about..teach them what we know...and hope in the end...it all turns out well.

Ted D said...

TEX,

All i can do is do the best I can. Our of everything, I just want them to always know I love them, no matter what they do.

How's the hand?

Stacy said...

Ted, it's probably a good thing Jared was our last. Otherwise we'd have had one going through what poor Trot lives with every day! :)

No question, you're a good dad. A little fanatical about the Sox, but a really good dad.

sheri said...

Squiggy,
Laberne here... you are a good dad. Don't ever doubt that! Your kids will remember you for what you have done with them, not what you have provided for them. Kids are kids and yours are great! Don't dwell on what will happen, you need to live in the moment. Enjoy your kids and your wife each day... don't think about how crazy this world will become, we only can pray that we will be okay.

And YES, you did run around the house with a drum stick in your underwear playing Tarzan along with the vaccum hose playing "Emergency". You also played an entire football game by YOURSELF! You were the quarterback, running back, wide receiver, punter and kicker! Now I see where Tyler (my son) got it from! Your very strange ways have been passed down to your nephew. I see him running around the back yard doing exactly what you did 30 yrs ago! But you know, it does bring a smile to my face to remember those good old memories! Keep making them with my niece and nephews!

Get ready for the Yankees this season... With Andy back on the mound... we're ready to take on the Sox. (Yes, I am a Yankee fan! Someone has to irriate Ted!)

love you,
Laverne

Ted D said...

Look Laverne: Andy Pettite is 38, and has been in the NL for 4 years. The AL east ain't the NL! We got Dice K and his gyroball, you got Pettite, Mussina, and Carl Pavano for Petes sake. I'll take Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Wake and Dice K any day of the week!

Tex said...

\\Your very strange ways have been passed down to your nephew.//

So TED is Manny???

Ted D said...

Sort of Tex: just take away all the talent, and we are just alike!

sheri said...

Yes Tex, Ted is Manny! There is always one weird one in the group... Ted's ours!

sheri said...

Squiggy,
Remember how your bullpen left you hanging last year? They are good for about 4 innings... Ready for all that stress again this year?

Laverne

Ted D said...

Listen Laverne, I know you are a typical myopic Yankee fan, so you don't keep up. We have, on paper, a much better pen than the Yankees. The yahoos are gone, and we signed Dice K's Japanese buddy, Brandon Donnelly, and Joel Piniero. Advantage Sox. The Yankess have Mariano. Advantage Yankees. But he's cryin' and moanin' about money already, Abreu is already hurt, and Jeter and his boyfriend are already slap fighting. Not this year sis!

sheri said...

Squiggy,
didn't mean to get your "fruit of the looms" in a wad already. Jeter and A-Rod will be just fine. For all the money they make, trust me, they'll get along. And Abreu will recover, it's just a little pain in his side. Don't get too cocky too early... baseball hasn't even started!
Laverne (aka Sheri)

Ted D said...

Look Laverne: you gotta come comment at the new post. I just happened to scroll down and catch you here. Your two "metro's" have HUGE problems with each other. They need to see a marriage couselor or something.

The Yankees put the fun in disfunctional.