CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 22, 2007

You ain't no Dirt Dog. At least not yet.


Replacing a favorite son can't be easy. Ask Edgar Renteria how it feels to play SS for Boston the year after Nomar is traded. (I know: The OC finished out 2004, but he was so happy to get out of Montreal that his personality won over people. Plus I think the bad vibe toward Nomar was fresh in 04. Reality sunk in that he was GONE in 05). Ask Bobby Murcer what it felt like to follow The Mick (that's for you bub) as the Yankee CF full time. Go up to the catcher who takes Tek's place one of these days and see how it feels to follow a local icon.
Trot Nixon was a fan favorite, a guy who seemed like he got how truly blessed he is to play a kid's game for a living. JD seems aloof and a little pompous. Nixon would run through a wall to get to a ball, while Drew has a reputation for being soft. Trot is a dirt dog, while Drew is looked at as being injury prone. If you think about it though, Trot has been injured for most of the last three seasons, while Drew had a pretty dadgum good year out in LA last season.
Ciera, my daughter, was pretty upset when I told her Trot went to Cleveland. She's 8, so she does not get why Trot, Petey, Nomar, etc.. are no longer in Boston. Rakes is OK if he can see Papi or Manny or "Cut Schwing" (Schill), and thankfully by the time Baby Trot knows whats going on, Big Trot will be retired or back in Boston. Shoot, it's hard for me to not get attached to guys, and I'm 36 years old, so I can imagine what is running through Ciera's head.
As for Drew, I'm going into this with a clean slate. Fact is JD Drew is the RF for the Boston Red Sox. Whatever he has done or said in the past is just that: in the past. I hope he hits .310, with 30 HR's and 125 RBI's. I would love nothing more than for him to win the Gold Glove, run through the bullpen fence, and charge the mound at Mike Mussina in Yankee Stadium next year. On the front of his jersey it says Red Sox, so I'll yell my lungs out for him.
Just remember JD: the guy you are replacing set the bar pretty high. You ain't officially a dirt dog.
Yet.

20 comments:

KAYLEE said...

No one can ever replace TROT IN MY MIND:)I just hope JD stays healthy:)

Tex said...

I always give someone a chance to show just how much of "it" they have. whatever "it" is.

i dont look at it as replacing Trot. i dont see people being replaced...they move on and someone takes their job.

jury is out on jd for me...Ill let you know by May

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Now thats what I'm talking about! Start forward good story telling. Just the facts Ma'm. Although I tried to tell you about JD acouple yrs back and you just ignored me.Like you said your only 36 , slow learner!!!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Oh boy, just when I thought I might get the hang of these sox's, Shilling wants extension and he hasn't thrown a pitch this season! Your 41 thank God your still able to pitch. Take your 10 mil and win another series and then ask. But I think everyone should play like the Mick, what do I know!

Ted D said...

Hey Tex! I'm keeping an open mind on Drew this year: I hope he makes the all star team. And I agree with you: management decided to go another direction, and I'll accept that. I just have a LITTLE touch of loyalty to Trot, being I gave my son his name.

Bub, Schill will make $13 million this year, and while I think he has earned the extension, I have no problem with management wanting to kick the tires, so to speak. Giving a plus 40 guy that much money is a big risk. But what am I telling you that for Gramps? You know!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Your right, Thats why every year on our anv. I give your sister the option to move back home or keep me another year . She just smiles and keeps me another season!!!!!

Ted D said...

You just have a way with words is all! I've been trying to tell her all these years, she just won't listen.


Marbles to the people!

Tex said...

ted i wouldnt be calling a guy over 40, gramps....you're not that far behind him

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Amen Sister, represent the new 25

Ted D said...

Lord, now Tex and Scott are bonding! I'll perpetually be 39 Tex. Remember, I have a high metabolism!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ah, Ted I think thats what makes animals attract each other!

Ted D said...

Isn't that phermones? :)

What are you doing home on Friday night? I mean, I know I have no life so I'm here, but you should be out painting the town!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

well, I've been invited to play texas hold'em. Don't have experince in that game. Guess I will go. One of those my wife's out of town come play cards at my house.

Tex said...

ted you encouraging scott deface property? and dont knock the 40's!! i have more energy than some 20 yr olds i know

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Tex, I have been starting to paint and draw again getting my artsy fartsy groove back. Maybe thats what Ted ment? We really have to get Ted a hobby that doesn't involve a lazy boy and a remote control. If his insides weren't going like a hamster in a cage he'd way about 250!

Ted D said...

Tex, I'm not knocking th 40's: I'll be there soon enough. How's the finger?

Scotty, you drawing again? How about a drawing of Papi and Manny I can hang in Trots room? You playing Texas hold em is going to end badly, I'm afraid.

Tex said...

Ahh Scott is an artist?? im a poet. it just dontpay the bills so Big Bro does

Ted D said...

Yeah Tex: he's really good. Draws, paints. My sister who he had the good fortune to catch is really good too.

I can't draw flies.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ted, I believe I have found my in between job. That was like taking candy from a baby! I could work Trot in. I'm Taking photo's changing them to b&w and then doing them in color pencil. I will be looking for Papi and Manny.

Ted D said...

Scotty, I'm going to email you the one I want. Let me know if it's doable.