CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 3, 2007

Father Curt



Dan Shaughnessy is a egotistical, self-absorbed, rabble rousing, pot stirring idiot. This guy writes a book 20 years ago blaming all the Red Sox struggles over the years on the fact they traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Forget the fact Ruth was a womanizing drunk who gave both the manager and owner constant grief. Forget the fact that Ruth wanted out. Forget the fact that Ruth, only a good player at the time, not the great one he would become, was known more for his pitching than his bat. Nah- the Red Sox sucked and never won the World Series was because of a CURSE.

And what does Mr. Serious Journalist do after the 2004 championship year? He writes another book telling us this time the curse, still real mind you, was reversed. If you ever read his column, most of the time he writes about the Red Sox, it's always something negative. He criticizes management, or ownership, or the player. After the 2005 season, he wrote a column on the fractured relationship between G.M. Theo Epstien and club President Larry Lucchino, causing Epstein to resign as G.M., only to change his mind after owner John Henry put a band-aid on the fighting. Obviously people like Shaughnessy because he still has his job, and is a featured writer for the top paper in New England. And Red Sox fans, especially ones who live in Boston, don't ever seem like they are happy unless they are in misery. So I understand the guys appeal, I just don't happen to like it.

This time he has really cranked my chain. He's going after Curt Schilling for seeking a contract extension for 2008. Schilling has asked for his contract to be extended for 1 year, at his 2007 price of $13 million per year. Sure, the fact that Curt is saying if it's not done by April 1 and he won't negotiate during the season bothers me. I don't like the timing of it, but if that's the way he feels, that's the way he feels. Speaking his mind has never been a problem for Schilling his whole career, and that's a big reason why Schilling is a either you love him or you hate him kind of guy. Guess which way I feel.

See, for me, what Schilling did in 2004 gets him a free pass for life with me. Not only did he swagger into town like John Wayne at high noon, he embraced playing in Boston like no athlete in recent memory. Unlike other players, Schilling GETS it. He talks to the writers, the fans, the radio and tv people. Passionate, loyal, and yeah, cocky is how you can describe Schilling. To be a great athlete, you have to be all three and more. Tough and team first are others. And after winning 21 games in '04, Schilling starts Game 1 of the ALDS versus the Angels that year and gets the win. In the 7th inning of that game he came off the mound to field a ground ball and came up limping. Turns out to be a dislocated ankle tendon.

Flash forward to Game 1 of the ALCS vs. the Yankees. Schilling looks nothing like the flame throwing, spittin', cussin' ace he's been all year. The Yankees are up 6-0 before the 3rd inning is over, Schillings out of the game, and every Red Sox fan feels like fate just kicked them square in the marbles. Down 3 games to none, everybody living in a civilized country knows what happens: they go on to win it all. They don't do that without what Schilling did in game 5 of that series or game 2 of the World Series. With stitches, Super glue, and rubber bands holding that tendon in place, with blood seeping out through his sock, Schilling manned up and gave the team 7 and 6 innings respectively. Through intense pain and damage to his body, he sacked up and mowed 'em down, knowing he was putting his next season, even career, in jeopardy.

He missed the early part of 2005, struggled as the closer for a time, then sorta bounced back to finish up OK. Last year, he won 16 games, went 6 innings or more each start, and along with Josh Beckett was one of the only 2 pitchers the team could count on all year. At nearly 40 years old, a time when most pitchers his age are in the bullpen or retired.

So yeah, I have no problem with Schilling getting paid for one more year. At 40 he is still better than 90% of pitchers playing today. I'm sure he saw all the monopoly money being tossed around this off season and realized he could get paid. It's not that Schilling is a bad guy either: he is very active in finding a cure for Lou Gherig disease, as well as several other charities. He's a loyal husband and father, which if you've read this blog, is a characteristic and example I try to live by.

Give him one more year. Pay him not for what he'll do in '07, for what he did in '04.

19 comments:

KAYLEE said...

At least he is not being"selfish" and is willing to take the 13 million he is getting this year next year.Some guys,now adays would ask for more.Age does not matter to some of those players.So,I say take your chances on him.What do you have to lose anyways,Even at 40 he is stil going to be better than Tim Wakefield or, maybe even Josh Beckett.

Ted D said...

kaylee, Beckett is my boy, so I'm gonna ignore that crack! I agree with you though: Schilling at 40 is better than the alternative of most everyone else.

Pay the man, I say.

KAYLEE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KAYLEE said...

//kaylee, Beckett is my boy, so I'm gonna ignore that crack!//

Just to clarify,I was not at all
trying to imply that he was not good!!!!!!!!!!!

Tex said...

Interesting take on pay him for what he did in '04 not what he's gonna do in '07. Believe me, I respect the man. I don't have any problem with paying him for another year IF this season he produces. I would just like to see how much this year brings for him.

I find it interesting your last post...ended with 38 posts. :)

Ted D said...

Ya caught that, did ya Tex?!

It was on purpose! I think management would like to see what he produces this year before agreeing to Schill's demands. I'm just playing Devil's advocate.

That said, Theo, Larry, and John Henry owe Curt for commiting to the team like he did in '04. I truly believe that. He made them legit in baseball circles, and if he went 0-15 in '07 I could deal with it. I honestly think he meant that much in winning the World Series in 2004.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

tex, it should have ended at 39.But my last one went into parts unknown. we are about 3 hr from frisco. Now on to current events.I agree with you in theory Ted,but I tend to think along the lines of as the owner I paid you say 8 mil in 04 to win the world series not come close but win.And they did great.If they finish in the celler He doesn't ask for money back!So play and perform for this yrs contract and see what happens,It's all about paying you to keep you off the other teams line up anyway.

Tex said...

point taken. I need to do a post by tomorrow. I just have so much to do by tomorrow. thank goodness I'll have my jobs wireless card while away to get on here. Ill be working away from home next week. So no posting all day long and little posting at night. Then SotB flies in on Friday...we'll be back and forth.

Ted D said...

Scotty, he came into Boston and pretty much promise a title. And they won. He gave up his 2005 season to do that. Not to mention his HOF stats. Then he performed in '06 better than anyone expected him too. I'm just saying that ownership should recognize that and react accordingly. Forget what he can do now, remember what he helped bring to the table.

sittingstill said...

Ted, I'm right with you on CHB. And I think no one said it better than Schill, which of course CHB chose to quote himself:
I think there's things that you write that are absolutely and totally unequivocally uncalled for. I think you take personal vendettas to the paper. I think you rip people in the paper because you don't like them whether they're good people or not.

Than again, I'm not unreceptive when Chad Finn calls Schill a "disingenuous windbag" either...

Of course I'll never forget what Schill did in 2004. But Schill, more than anyone else, was smart enough to get his bonuses for that achievement written into his contract in advance. I do think the timing of his announcement of his about-face is difficult. I guess I wish he would stand up and say "If I can't play at a top level, even if I have that extension, I will retire." But... he said exactly the opposite--that he knows it's a business and he'd be silly to give that up. I just don't know. If it was only money, I'd say sure, pay him. But it's not just money--it's a roster spot and 20% of the starting rotation...

Ted D said...

Kelly, I didn't see where you commented last night. I think we are pretty much in agreement. Your point about Schilling taking up a roster spot and 20% of the rotation is valid. Like I said, I still think a healthy Schilling, even at the 41 years old he'd be next year, is 90% better than whoever would be available next year. Plus, we don't know if Wake will be back next year either. So we are looking at 2 potential holes in the rotation. Unless we can get 2 pitchers in that top 10% out there, Schilling, to me, needs to come back.

Just my 2 cents: By the way, anobody reading here needs to go to Kelly's website, www.sittingstill.net. She is an awesome photographer.

JET said...

Really great post Ted. I wish it hadn't come up now publicly, but accept what he said about the story being about to break through the press. Better to come out ahead of the story directly. I just hope it wraps up quickly, quietly and friendly and doesn't become a distraction to our season.

Stacy said...

OK, I go by feelings/loyalty more than statistics,(I'm a woman; it happens) so I say The Sox should keep Curt. He went above and beyond by playing really hurt during the '04 season. It's not like he's asking for the moon, just what he's making this year. As a member of the over 40 club, anyone who can pitch that well at his age, deserves a chance.

Tex said...

ok Ted..new Post for me today. josh gave me inspiration and I felt the need to reinterate MY love for the Sox and why it came to be.

Ted D said...

//I just hope it wraps up quickly, quietly and friendly and doesn't become a distraction to our season.//

From your lips to God's ears JET. Thank you for paying me a visit! Hi Stacy- remember what I told you, 40 is the new 30!

Howdy Texas!

Tex said...

as far as 40 being the new 30, I'm all about that concept!! :)

Ted D said...

Tex, I turn 37 this year, so I've embraced this philosophy as well. I figure in 3 years it'll be 2nd nature to me!

Tex said...

yah cos next year then I'll only be 40

Ted D said...

There you go! By the same token, I'm only 26.

Wow. I am one old looking 26 year old.