CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School. Or the start of Ted's descent into insanity. Whatever.

Not only was today the first day my baby girl headed off to Middle School, it was also Rakes first day of Kindergarten and the first day of class for Ang at her new job.

I woke up more nervous than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, and it didn't help when I dropped Ciera off at the front door of her school; for the first time in 6 years of taking her to school I didn't get a goodbye kiss or even so much of a "I Love you, Dad."

THAT stung for awhile.

Trot having a running commentary with himself in the back seat helped keep the mood somewhat light. He sounds like Chaka from "Land of the Lost" on meth and I could only understand every 4th word but it kept me from crying like Sally Field in some A&E Movie of the week, so I guess it was worth it.

Meanwhile Rakes was off to kindergarten, where I awaited the call from his teacher or the Principle about some sort of inappropriate behavior and the threat of suspension all day; much to my surprise, all was quiet. Another first out of the way and we decided to take some photographic proof.

Just in case the authorities came calling later.

Rakes, in his new skate shoes (which for some reason he thinks will make him able to ride a board like Tony Hawk. This is funny until you find him building a 12 foot high ramp in the garage and telling Trot to "Wear these, buddy. You can do it too!") I can't believe my little man is going to school full time.

And it's not in an orange jumpsuit.

Ciera on her first day of Middle School.

Note to self: buy handgun and 10 foot high barbed wire fence to secure the perimeter ASAP.

This is the photographic equivalent of an Shiite and a Sunni taking a picture together.

Trust me.

I think the nervous energy bonded them for one brief, glorious moment. What you don't see is Trot off to the left taking a whizz in the flowers.
All in all, it was a good ending for a lot of firsts today; Ang had a great day with her students and Ciera and Rakes thrived.

In the end, the only person who really struggled was the poor shmuck who was trying to sell furniture all day and wondering what in God's name was going on with the rest. Which isn't really different than any other day.

Except I'm both relieved and happy all at the same time.

9 comments:

fla beck said...

Love the photos. I always take a picture of the Boy on the first and last days of each school year. Glad all went well. :)

Tree Newt said...

One of your absolute best, bro. The line about Chaka on meth is CLASSIC!!

I know your heart broke when you dropped her off. I dread that day, bro. DREAD it.

Give little Tony some cred...he's a good kid.

And what is UP with the comeback of the 80s Dave Mustaine jeans?!!! Some styles should stay dead!

Tex said...

So where's the pic of Trot relieving himself? ;)

So happy the day went off without a hitch. And the boys won.

HorshamScouse said...

A red letter day in Casa Dalton, and you got through it without coming undone.

Good to see Ciera, looking terrified incidentally, rocking the Union Jack T-shirt! :)

Ted D said...

Becky, Ang does the same thing. I told Ciera about the Boy last night and she just grinned!

Mattie, the jeans do need to stay dead and buried. But she looked really cute all the same. And yeah, it sucked. This morning she hugged my neck and kissed my cheek, but about a block away from school. :)

Tex, all those pictures are under lock and key for future bribes. ;)

And John, I thought of you when I saw her outfit!! We made it and I'm no worse than I usually am.

Ang and Rakes made the front page of our local paper today when a photographer snapped their picture when she dropped him off at school yesterday! I'll try and scan it and post it tonight.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Ted, your posts make me laugh til I cry, sometimes. This is one of those times. Not what you say, but how you say it. I lost it completely when I got to the part about Trot & the flowers.

Ted D said...

Glad I made you laugh, Dawn. It's better than crying. ;)

Stacy said...

Glad everone had a great day (well, with the exception of you).

Just saw Rakes asleep in the chair at Poppy's. Poor kid must have been worn out from his first day.

We always survive these milestones, it just doesn't mean it's easy. :(

Ted D said...

HE LET HIM FALL ASLEEP???? Hello, Rakes still up at 11.