CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sitting in the Catbird Seat

In my mind, I can see Theo and Beckett cracking open a couple of cold ones, Beckett tossing out an F-Bomb every other word and the two of them laughing like idiots at the Yankees scrambling to sign Johan Santana.

How else do you explain the reports all over the World Wide Webs that the Twins are insisting on Master Jacoby as part of a deal for the Sox to sign Santana? Do the Twins honestly expect Theo to give up what turned out to be the catalyst for the Red Sox winning the World Series? For what? To get a great regular season pitcher who is basically Alex Rodriguez on the mound once the playoffs start?

I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong: Johan Santana is one of the premier pitchers in the game today, and any pitching staff with him on it is all the better for it. I just don't think you give up the future to make it happen.

Various reports have the Twins insisting on Boston to include Ellsbury in any proposal for Santana, and thankfully, so far, Theo is responding with a firm negatory. As he should: there are prospects and there are future legends. All this kid did was step into a win or go home situation in the ALCS and just roll right on to the World Series Championship: he's not a prospect anymore.

Really, do the Sox actually NEED Santana? No freaking way: they just won the World Series with Beckett, a 41 year old Curt Schilling, a Japanese import in his first year in MLB, and a kid one year removed from cancer. Would he make them a better team? No doubt about it. But he's not a NECESSITY. Which is why I think all this noise we keep hearing out of Boston is just that: noise.

All this posturing is intended to make George's egomaniacal son go insane: if Boston actually ends up getting Santana it'll just be the cherry on top of the sundae. Left is right, right is left, and the Red Sox have turned into the biggest bully on the block.

And I LIKE it: I REALLY like it. Let the Yankees be the team to bet the farm and give away their best prospects to mortgage the future for the here and now. It still won't do them any good: no way they get past the Red Sox next year.

I guess you could say the balance of power in the AL East has shifted, and the hunted has become the huntee. The Boston Red Sox have eclipsed the New York Yankees as the team to beat and somewhere Joe Dimaggio is crying.

All I can say is: it's music to my ears.

11 comments:

Tex said...

I hope Babe is turning over in his grave.

Ted D said...

He's turned over twice so far, Tex.

Hope your week is getting better, and the audit is finally done.

BTW, I worked Beckett into the post just for you: I'm trying to make my adopted sister smile.

Hope it worked.

Tex said...

you did. Tomorrow is one day closer to the end of it. I really haven't sweated the audit. I trained the guys myself and I just took over AND the girl who is the administrator there took that position in Sept so honestly any problems in the files they are reviewing are all from past...and was as a result of the last administrator who is gone.

Clean slate after this visit. We are processing everything and will be making changes asap.

Tree Newt said...

If Theo trades Ells, I seriously question his cred. Santana is the man...in the regular season. Ells already has more WS rings: one. Let's add to it.

Dude, there are Sox fans EVERYWHERE down here! I even got to let out a "YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUK!!" call today!

HorshamScouse said...

Beckett well and truly settled in the AL. Matsuzaka now an MLB pitcher after his acclimatization year. Lester in his second full season, Buchholz ready (with a careful approach to pitch counts and starts), and the existing cherry on top: Curt passing on his wisdom to the pirates in his swansong season.

I truly hope Theo is just playing the screw Steinbrenner game redux.

You heard it here first: Ellsbury in centre in a Sox uniform on opening day (n Tokyo, saints preserve him!)

Ted D said...

Glad to hear it, Tex. Two more days and tgif.

Corn Meal, how is the happiest place on earth? I would imagine there are quite a few Sox fans who've escaped the mild winters of New England for Florida. Glad to hear you're having a good time.

Horsham, that's what I'm thinking: all this Santana talk is just Theo tweaking the Yankees and forcing them to up their offer even more. Jacoby in centre: THAT should have been my title to this post!

Redbeard76 said...

Steinbrenner looks like Babe Ruth's gay brother. . . Gabe Ruth.

Anonymous said...

I must say that I get such a kick out of all of your nicknames for one another. I'm sure each with it's own story is a post in itself. Where's Scott when you need him to post anyways?

~**Dawn**~ said...

I swear if Theo trades the farm for Santana, I will scream. After all his preaching about homegrown talent & how we're going to build our franchise from the bottom up, if he takes one of the best sparks we've seen yet & trades him away, I will go insane. Guys like Pedroia & Papelbon & Youk, and now Ellsbury & Buchholz are such an awesome part of this team. Hands off the McSpeedy!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

The Newtered one makes an appearance but offers us no man on the street reporting live from " if it cost a dollar to make they will pay a hundred for it".

McTed its 2:00 artn't you off yet?

I see Edge is kinda warming up to the crazyness. She used my name in a comment!

Have to put my serious hat on for a while. I am going to lead our wed. night group in looking at Max Lucados new book. My have to have Matt "Graham" Dalton give me some pointers.

Ted D said...

Denise, we just happen to show our love for our fellow family members with insults and keep the emotions under the surface.

Stephen, which Steinbrenner? You gotta be more specific.

Dawn, my buddy Josh texted me this about 3 today: WEEI is reporting the Sox are in the lead for Santana, offering Lester, Crisp, Masterson, and Lowrie. I'm very comfortable with that trade. Bucholz is ready to take Lester's spot, and Ellsbury has made Coco expendable. And Masterson and Lowrie have yet to make the big club.

Bub, I don't know if I can take the two of you at the same time: my head might explode.

3 truckloads today: somebody has to pay for Mayor McCheese and his Disney trip.