CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 26, 2007

West Coast Ramifications

Do you wanna know how far the long arm of the Red Sox has reached? Take a look at the Los Angeles of Anaheim Palm Beach Hollywood and Vine Angels. They just signed Torii Hunter to a 5 year, $90 million dollar contract.

I know what you're thinking: they did it to win the AL West.

Wrong: they did that last year.

Or they did it to upstage the other show in town, the Dodgers: nope. They never even made an offer.

Get this: they signed him so they can BEAT THE RED SOX in the post season.

So says the Wonderdog, Rex Hudler, color analyst for the Angels. He was on the MLB channel on XM today, and in his own words the Angels signed Hunter so they can counter the attack of the Red Sox offense once the playoffs begin.

In his own maniacal way, Hudler (if you've never heard this guy, he talks about the Angels the way a TV evangelist asks for money) said the Hunter signing was solely based on beating the Red Sox in the post season. He hilariously recounted how the Angels have beaten the Yankees the last 2 times they've faced them in the post season, and according to my Yankee buddy Shawn, he HATES seeing the Angels on the schedule.

So from all the way in Boston, the Red Sox have caused the Los Angeles Angels to pay Hunter around $18 million dollars more than the next closest team, reportedly the White Sox, were offering.

Can you imagine that? A team the Sox will play roughly 6 -9 times a year has committed to the equivalent of a small third world countries budget to a 32 year old outfielder who hit 28 HR's last year.

All because they can't beat the Red Sox, in their mind, without him.

Man, have things changed in the last 4 years.

21 comments:

Tex said...

Ted you need to train Rakes or Trot to become a MLB player so you'll be taken care of in your old age

Ted D said...

Tex, don't think I haven't thought about it. However, I think the Dalton family "Curse of the short man" may get in the way.

I'm actually now hoping Rakes has a career as a circus performer: I hear the benifits are great.

Tex said...

uhmmm have your forgotten two names in baseball?

eckstein and pedroia?

Ted D said...

Nope, haven't forgotten.

Just realize that is the exception, not the norm.

I'm not giving up: just being a realist.

With Rakes energy, he could make Pedie look like an old man: you may be on to something.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

I agree ,the ramifications of the west coast, east coast talent shortage could have long term adverse effect not only on players but concession stand workers as well.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Tex said...

scott, put the pipe down or don't inhale

Ted D said...

OK Scotty, put down the Bill James book. You've never talked like that in your life.

Although until the concession workers comment, you were making a pretty good point.

Wonder if corn muffin has made it to the happiest place on earth yet?

Redbeard76 said...

Yeah, good luck with that Angels, see how far that gets you next year...

::snickers::

::high-fives Ted::

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Somehow Jr I see a bizarre twisted story coming out of Huckleberry's trip. I in vision him getting Pluto's head stuck on his and trying to explain to you that is why sales are down in his territory. " Honest Ted no one wants to buy from a man with a giant dog head".

Anonymous said...

Don't mean to change the subject but I have to brag a little. Did you know that the Saskatchewan Roughriders took the Grey Cup this year. How's that for a victory? They last won in 1989 so needless to say, it's been awhile.

Redbeard76 said...

Miss Teen South Carolina says "If US Americans had more maps they could find Sasketchewan." Or something like that.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Saskatchewan?

Who knew. I thought it was a made up hairy beast. Now I find out it is a football team. Where is a snowball when you need it.
We are in the middle of a Big 12 championship week and Edge wants to talk about powder puff football.

Well OK here goes Hooray for Saskatchewan!

Tex said...

hey hey HEY HEY dont be trashing Mizz South Carolina.

courtney said...

incase you were wondering...

you're getting older.

i will be 22 friday.

Ted D said...

First off:

::high fives Stephen back::

Bub, I was thinking more along the lines of he becomes Disney's full time pontificator on all things Walt, sells all his possesions, and he and the family take up residence on "It's a Small World".

Edge, can't say I'm a follower of the CFL, though I did enjoy the Doug Flutie era.

Tex, why are you so protective of Miss South Carolina? ;)

Courtney, I have two words to say to you:

Shut. Up.

Anonymous said...

You haven't met a fan until you've met a Rider Fan. Saskatchewan is full of them. I kid you not! They don't call it Rider Pride for nothing.

Hey never mind, when we had our furniture delivered, the guy delivering said he visited Canada once. I asked him where abouts. His response? Michigan! I am not making this up.

Tex said...

just South Carolina. My daddy's family from there.

Ted D said...

Edge, you have got to be kidding me.

Tex, I keep forgetting your Dad is from there.

::slaps head::

Anonymous said...

I wish I was kidding you Ted but I'm not. Another story when we were in our first Florida project, I was sending a gift to my mom. I told the woman it had to be wrapped extra special because it was going to Saskatchewan. She said, "Oh my! That's just about in Canada!"

We've also been asked if we have stores there and do we have televisions. These are just a few of the comments/questions we've dealt with over the years.

Christine E. said...

Evening everyone:

Hey Ted..11 weeks is better than 20, which is what we would have had to wait, if we didn't have the postseason...:-)

Can you believe it was a month tomorrow that the Sox won the World Series?

Sorry I have not been around alot--But now that Anne Frank is over, I should have more time (yeah right)

Hope you had a spectacular holiday!

Go Sox!

Ted D said...

Denise, do you have air conditioning, shoes, and electricity in Canada? ;)

Hey Christine. Missed you around here: I hope the play went off without a hitch, and I'm sure you were wonderful. And it doesn't seem like a month, it seems like a year.

Thanksgiving was great, and I hope yours was as well.