CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stand Up and Be Counted

"I'm so super proud of this team. When we put it to a vote it was unanimous, we're all in agreement that we're not going to put up with this.''

With that quote, Mike Lowell cemented himself as one of my all-time favorites. Sure, his Gold Glove play at third the past two years, along with his stellar offensive numbers last season, WS MVP, and award winning facial hair had pretty much made that a given already. But if I had a vote, after today my man would get his own statue outside Fenway and a lifetime supply of beard groomers.

Long story short: early today it came out that the Sox players had discovered the coaches and trainers wouldn't be getting the $40,000 appearance fee the players were, despite the fact this had been agreed upon by MLB before the Red Sox agreed to start the season in Japan, of all places.

Whether this was a misunderstanding on the part of the Red Sox, or just some evil plan by Uncle Bud and his minions really doesn't matter. What does matter is Mikey, along with Tito and the rest of the players saw an injustice being done, and like some bearded and scruffy crew of righteous avengers, they stepped up and made a stand.

As Tito put it, " It wasn't about being greedy. It was about trying to be unified." And that is the thing about this whole story that makes me proud to be a fan of the Red Sox. From ownership to the players and all the way down to the guy that picks up the dirty uniforms off the floor at the end of the game, this organization is a TEAM. And when the highest paid part of that team is disgusted at the way the lowest paid part is being treated? Well, that just gives me a case of the goosebumps.

And just so you don't think that today was all about conflict and tension, I'll let Manny close this post out for me.

12 comments:

Tex said...

tell me. How can ANYONE NOT love Manny????? The ManChild!!!!!!!!!!!

That was such a great story today. Made me smile even though i was catching bits and pieces. And I need a smile

Ted D said...

Tex, it made me smile too. I talked to Josh(my little brother, not YOUR Josh) around 11 this morning, and when I headed out all I knew was there was a players only meeting scheduled. I got the whole story when I got home this evening.

And I wish I could give you a smile 24/7. I'll give you a virtual hyg, though.

Maybe that'll help.

Tex said...

I got to get some sleep. long day tomorrow. ill catch up later

Ted D said...

Night Tex.

Have a great day tomorrow.

Tree Newt said...

Where can I appear to get a year's salary just for showing up? How do you get that gig?

Ted D said...

Go to school, take classes to become a trainer, work 12 years in the minor leagues, then 3 years for the Royals, THEN luck into a job with the Red Sox.

Tree Newt said...

No doubt they worked hard to get there. It just struck me that they would get in one appearance what I would make in a year. And compared to the much of the world, I'm unbelievably rich. Just funny, that's all.

Ted D said...

Mattie, some of those guys, like the trainers, bull pen catcher, etc. make less than $30,000, if that.

So that's what impressed me the most. A bunch of millionaire ball players stood up unamiously for those guys. Not every team would do that, IMO.

Tree Newt said...

I agree...that is cool on their part. I wasn't knocking them for making it, mind you. I think it was cool of the Sox to stand up.

~**Dawn**~ said...

I am still so proud of our boys, Ted, that I feel like I could just pop. I feel like a proud mama.

Hmmm... this is my word verification:
rmyweeds

I wonder what that means?? LOL

sssssssss said...

The frowny face on Manny's sign is just killing me. :lol:

I can't imagine anything making me any more proud of these guys than this has.

Ted D said...

Dawn, I know what you mean. Standing up for the "hidden" members of the team was a great thing to see. rmyweeds, huh? Beckperson hasn't been here, has she? ;)

Cyn, it's nice to see what you believe to be true, that this team is made up of genuinely good guys, actually BE true.