CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Yes We Can

As I watched Rakes run around the soccer field tonight, looking like some demented version of Pele, if Pele was 3 feet tall and spitting sunflower seeds, my phone rang.

On the line was a guy who I think of as my other brother, telling me his Mom was diagnosed today with inoperable tumors on her liver. This same guy? His wife's cousin is burying her 11 year old son on Thursday, who is also a victim of cancer. 11 years old.

Ciera's age.

So while I rant and rave about Trot whizzing in anything and everything OTHER than the toilet, Rakes asking me 16,594 questions about Star Wars and Ciera starting Middle School AND hitting puberty, I know I'm blessed.

I've had my run ins with cancer; Mom had her scare 2 years ago this October, my Grandmother had it, and Ang's Dad had his own fight with it. But I've never had to go through what my man and his wife have.

This weekend, a bunch of my friends are walking for the Jimmy Fund. If you're there, walk with them. If you're like me and seemingly a million miles away? Donate.

'Cause as stoked as I am about tonight's beat down of the Orioles that included 6 home runs, Papi and V Mart doing some voodoo handshake dance in the dugout and Clay looking like Pedro, only white, pale, and with a really bad hair cut?

It don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

We can put a man on the moon, have the Internet on our phone, and have movie stars tweet us about what they bought at the grocery store this afternoon. We've got vaccines for the flu, little blue pills for "performance issues" and "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" on every flipping channel this side of ESPN and you're telling me we can't find a cure for cancer?

Screw that noise. We rant and rave about drinking and driving, worry about dying in a plane crash (looks in mirror. Hangs head in shame.), and spend billions to protect our borders against the POSSIBILITY 18 random idiots want to plot death and destruction yet we can't come up with a cure that kills more people and destroys more families than anything else short of a mushroom cloud?

Please.

Yes we can. So no more children have to die before their parents and no more adults don't have to leave their kids too early. Give your time or your money, I don't care which way you go.

But give.

NOW.

Love you, JB and Amy. And you know I'll say a prayer to the Big Man above for you and your family.

13 comments:

Tex said...

What Ted Said!!

HorshamScouse said...

Great post Ted.Thanks.

Ted D said...

There's a first time for everything, right sis? And thanks, Scouser.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Not a year goes by that I don't get online & add my pennies during the telethon. Evil vicious disease. Great message, Ted.

Ted D said...

\\Evil vicious disease\\

Amen, Dawn.

Beth said...

Thanks for spreading the word, Ted. It does put things in perspective...

Ted D said...

Beth, reality bites. :(

Amy said...

Thank You for being the greatest friend anyone can ever ask for.....

Ted D said...

No, Amy. Thank you and Josh for accepting me into ya'lls life.

Trot's Hat said...

Ted, this is beautiful, and just reminds me how lucky we are to have found us.

Ted D said...

Bridget, We really are fortunate to have all somehow found each other. Red and Denton need a parade held in their honor.

'Course, only Denton would show up but still....

Unknown said...

Thank you - I know you already know, but you're all walking with us.

how lucky we are to have found us.///

TH said it best.

Love you all, thick and thin.

Ted D said...

I know, hayes. Just wish I could be there.

//Love you all, thick and thin.//

Yep.