CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 25, 2007

Me: 34 years ago.

Driving to get lunch yesterday for the family, I was trying to listen to the MLB channel on my XM radio. The little hooligan I'm holding in this picture could have cared less.

Singing "You dot a biend in me" from Toy Story, no other words, over and over and over again, was good enough for him. However, I noticed my XM was fading in and out, and 3 times the radio slid off the console. I turn around, and he's got the cord in his left hand, swinging it like a lasso, while looking out the window and singing at the top of his lungs.

I'm firmly convinced he is the 3 year old version of Manny: I've never seen a child march to his own drummer as much as Rakes. And just like Manny, I don't think there is a mean bone in his body: ornery, mischievous, and a handful to control? You bet.

I asked my Mom tonight if I was like Rakes when I was a child: according to her, I was, just not quite running at his RPM level is all. Raising this child is the biggest challenge and greatest reward I've had in my 37 years. Don't get me wrong, I love all my kid's the same: it's just I can tell that Ciera and Trot will be nowhere NEAR the challenge Rakes will be.

I'm looking forward to it though: the boy is going to be special.

Speaking of "special", Julian is on the bump in Seattle tonight.

If he comes out wearing a Mariner's cap and yellow rain boots I won't be surprised.

18 comments:

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Dude you got to get outside more. Aryan nation is going to use you as a poster boy. I will give my two cents on the boy compared to you after our visit. Garrison got a major haircut after about two yrs of the serf is up look. He looks 16 BUT the deal is he is matts dopplerganger at that age its SCARY!

Ted D said...

Bubba, that picture was taken by Stacy the day I came down with the stomach flu, which was Memorial Day.

I've got quite the tan going on now.

If Garrison looks like Matty, I may pass out when I see him! No GI Joe dolls or He Man toys I hope.

KAYLEE said...

Nice of your wife to take pictures of you when you have the flu.I HATE PICTURES!AND scott you are scaring me now:)

KAYLEE said...

AND TED,if rakes is the 3 year old version of MANNY I think you will be ok when he is older.

Ted D said...

That was my sister Stacy who took the pictures:

Kaylee, I'd tell you something, but sadly, don't think you actually read any of the comments.

I'm trying to be kind here: you are walking the tightrope here, and more especially, at SG. Someone is going to go off soon. I'm trying to be nice, but you are dancing on the edge.

Tex said...

aint boys fun Ted?? my mom always told me that I'd reap what I sowed...

KAYLEE said...

OK.I will take it easy.

Ted D said...

Fun Tex? Don't know about that.

Do know that it is totally different than having a girl.

I have aged 15 years in the last three: Makes me dead by 52, if my math is correct.

Tex said...

i was tame this weekend btw. I barely did any REAL partying....i coulda stayed out longer on Sat with MrsMLB but needed to go with SotB cos well I didnt want to walk to the hotel alone.

Ted D said...

Good for you Tex: Julian is taking years off my life as we speak.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

VTek said...

Good morning - I have to say, flu or not, look at those heartbreakers! Who said that everything I always say is mean?- Speaking of "Big Scott" - There's a photo of you at Anheuser-Busch!

"It's hard to leave when you can't find the door" -Joe Walsh :)

Tree Newt said...

Y'all, don't do it to that boy! Don't tell him he looks like I did! That's enough to scar anyone for life.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

I bet you want Dice k's album when it comes out

Ted D said...

Carol, don't know if I've ever been accused of being a heartbreaker, but I'll gladly take the compliment!

Bub, they are mining every bit of that Japanese market, no? Think I'll pass.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ah Carol , Carol, Carol. I am a little like a drug. Once you get me started it hard to turn me off. Although I do like to "horse" around. Hmm Joe Walsh. maybe we will have to match classic rock wits.

JR did you survive the day? ITs still freaking raining here. My pool is about to become a neighborhood pool.

VTek said...

Lol Scott (you're still funny - Sorry Ted ;). And sorry to hear that you're not getting use out of that pool. I could have used it each day this week - We're having a heat wave!

Ted D said...

I survived Bub, but just barely. The pool will be open soon I take it: be sure and let Garrison ride his bike into it.

Evening Carol: and you don't have to apologize. I know he's funny, just compliment him to much, and he never leaves: sort of like a stray dog.

John said...

So you've got one of those tough kids too?!