CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 18, 2007

Old School meets New School.


*Picture from the Boston Globe*

It sucks watching a great player turn mortal before your very eyes. Tonight, I saw a man who was scuffling and grinding to try to fix what was wrong, yet could not come up with an answer to the question.

Schill is NOT the same pitcher he was 3 years ago: he's 40 years old, and I wouldn't expect him to be the same: guy's like Roger and Bonds get better with age for a reason: I'll let you figure that one out on your own.

Schilling is the prototypical 40 year old, trying to keep it going, yet doing it in a new way: he's the first to admit he has to be more precise with his location and be more deceptive to get guys out than in his heyday of blowing them away with 97 mph heaters.

Tonight: 4.1 IP, 10H, 6ER, 2BB, and 0K's. Not his best night for sure: however, I DO NOT think he is done. I just think that when you have a 40 year old pitching to 25 year olds, unless he is perfect, games like tonight happen. I'll still take Curt Schilling over 90% of pitcher's in the game today.

Baseball is a game of failure's: you fail 7 out of 10 times at the plate, you're an all-star. You make 35 starts a year as a pitcher, and win 18, you had a great year. Being perfect is not a prerequisite to being a great player in this game: Schilling IS one of the best pitchers of this generation, bar none. Tonight was simply a case of an aging veteran not having his best stuff, no more, no less.

Tomorrow, young Skywalker follows Obi Wan: Beckett, looking to rebound after his last start, goes for win #10 vs. Tim Hudson.

Me? I'm putting my money on the kid from Texas.

19 comments:

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Thats an easy prediction, hudson is from tx also!

KAYLEE said...

I will put my money on BECKETT too in fact,I would put a big amount on him.Tim Hudson is not that good anymore.As for Schilling,I agree he is definately not done he is just in a hiccup right now:-)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Kaylee I bet you also know how many jigawatts are in a sizemographer.

Tex said...

SHUT UP SCOTT

OK ted put yor money on Beckett....no matter that Hudson is from texas...Beckett's got it going on

i just hot in
long story but aill send yo9u an email toormorrow

VTek said...

/i just hot in
long story but aill send yo9u an email toormorrow/

What happens when you post at 3:18 am ;)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

What happens when you post at 3:18 am ;)

MEAN EVIL THINGS COME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH!

Tex said...

ya know...if I cared, I'd delete my post...but I dont...so i wont.

had fun last night er this morning...made 2 new friends and if i go to norway...i may have a place to crash

VTek said...

Aside from what you wrote not being true - "Don't ever lose your sense of humor!" - Jim Belushi

Ted D said...

"Kaylee I bet you also know how many jigawatts are in a sizemographer."

I spit Mt. Dew on the monitor reading this! And you KNEW which Texan I meant. Smarta**.

Tex, I look forward to the email: anything that causes you to type "aill send yo9u an email toormorrow" has to be hysterical!

Carol, this is quite the comment section, huh? They may kick you out of your Mom's group if they find out. ;)

Stacy said...

Ted, I really like you picture; someone took a great shot.

Hope Beckett has a great night.

KAYLEE said...

WE NEED MORE RUNS! I dont want the agony of having to sweat out a 1-0 win:-)

KAYLEE said...

I still want more but,at least they honored my request.

Ted D said...

Stacy, so far, so good.

3-0 Sox in the 6th.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ok game looks to be well in hand. SO I guess I should stir up some controversey?

KAYLEE said...

YES,please Do!Its a rain delay anyway.

KAYLEE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KAYLEE said...

wait should I be encouraging you scott?

Ted D said...

Bubba, please: I don't need any more controversy. This world wide car search is upsetting my inner eco-system.

Rain Delay: Sox up 4-0 in the top of the 7th.

KAYLEE said...

OK,TED i will stop encouraging him then.