CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Wally Pipp, circa Boston 2008

*Photo courtesy of Kelly*

For anyone who doesn't know who Wally Pipp is, he played first base for that MFY's team back in the day; he decided he needed a day off and his back up came in to fill the void. Turns out that void lasted 2,130 games.

His replacement? Lou Gehrig, otherwise known as "The Iron Horse".

In no way am I suggesting Jed Lowrie is the equivalent of Gehrig; just that Julio Lugo may not ever play SS for the Red Sox again.

All my man Jed has done in 36 games is hit .288, 1 HR, 22 RBI, and has an OPB of .350. Throw in the fact he plays SS like Ozzie Smith in his prime and it's a no brainer. The Sox had 4 double plays tonight and I'm pretty sure Lowrie started 7 of 'em. Maybe not, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I've been a defender of Lugo since he got here; it's not HIS fault Theo and Co. thought he was worth $9 million a year for 4 years; but with the way Lowrie has played, Julio's gotta be looking at the housing market in about 15 different cities right now.

'Cause other than a natural disaster, Lowrie getting run over while walking north by a southbound bus, or a giant asteroid hitting earth between now and next April, hell will freeze over before he's starting at SS for the Boston Red Sox next year.

Sox win 6-2 vs the White Sox, Daisuke gets win #13, and Papi is back to being Papi again with 3 hits. Meanwhile, somebody call the Guinness World Record people:

The Red Sox rendered Ozzie Guillen speechless.

10 comments:

Tex said...

Jed's The MAN!!!!!!!!! Ozzie speechless?? Say it aint so! ;)

Ted D said...

He's doing pretty well, right Tex?

The look of disgust on Ozzie's face when Papi hit that double was priceless!

Tree Newt said...

Thank the Lord! We've found a Short Stop!

Ted D said...

It's nice not to get a knot in your stomach on a ground ball, Mattie. I did this post for Dawn. ;)

~**Dawn**~ said...

From your lips to God's ears. I have this recurring nightmare in which Theo & the Front Office Regime are so blinded by their E6 infatuation that they trade Lowrie to somewhere to get another backup outfielder.

Ted D said...

Dawn, I really feel like the way Lowrie has played so far that Lugo will get dealt in the offseason, with the Sox paying most of what he's still owed. They've shown they are willing to go with the young guys like Ellsbury and Pedie, so we may be looking at our middle infield for the next 6 or so years.

I gotta admit, it's a pretty good feeling.

~**Dawn**~ said...

I sure hope so. It's just that sometimes they get something in their head about a player & they are like a dog with a bone: won't let it go.

The bigger concern right now: what are we going to do with the rotation? We already have a guranteed loss from Number Five (and yes, I feel bad for him but this is starting to scare me a little that he has no confidence in his fastball and I know he will come around in time, but with the dog fight just to get to October at all, *now* may not be the best time to give Clay "experience"). Who the heck will fill in for Wakey now??

Ted D said...

Dawn, I thought about that today. Kelly @ sitting still said she thinks Devern Hansack will pitch Tuesday and then it sounds like Colon went well in his 2nd rehab start so he's probably close.

This whole piecing together the rotation in August has got me gripping just a bit; Buchholz is no longer a small concern; he's a major worry for me from here on out. I just don't trust him to have good stuff when he goes out there.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Everything I've read has said Hansack or possibly Bowden, because Zink & Pauley oitched Friday & Saturday.

Clay's biggest problem right now is that he does not trust *himself*. When he isn't thinking too much, he looks pretty good.

Ted D said...

I think Bowden was supposed to pitch today, but is supposed to go in the next game. I'd like to see Zink get a shot in Wake's spot, but according to Kelly he's not on the 40 man roster so he can't.

I'd feel a lot better if Schill was around.