CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Moving At The Speed Of Life

Rakes started his last year of pre-school today; next year I'll have my daughter in middle school, my son in Kindergarten, and no idea how it all went by so fast.

One day he's small enough to hold in one hand and the next he's one year away from terrorizing the local Elementary School. Don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but he's sort of a walking miracle; when they went to break Ang's water with him, there was no water to break. Sometime before we went to the hospital, she had leaked out all the fluid protecting him. PLUS the fact when he was being delivered, the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck. He was 5 lbs when he was born and 4 lbs 6 ounces when we brought him home.

We had no idea if he had suffered any kind of brain damage or physical harm, but the Doc kept telling us he would be fine; other than being in about the 5th percentile when it comes to height and weight, he IS just fine. Which is another reason why I love The Munchkin so much; he's the ideal role model for Rakes as he grows up. Undersized and counted out, he's leading the league in hits, average, runs, and trash talk; giving hope to short people everywhere is just a bonus.

Tonight, I kept trying to ask Rakes what he did at school today; the most I got was he had a cheese stick and yogurt for a snack, almost DIED on the playground because it was so hot, and is apparently a tad miffed he didn't get to go to the Scholastic Book Fair because, in his words, "The FIRST kids dot to do, Dad. I was MAD."

He did make me giggle by walking up to his Mom and asking the following:

Rakes: "You know who bears bomens underwear, Mom?"

Ang: "Who, Rakes?"

Rakes: "Derek Jeter" (followed by a giggle fit by him AND me along with a high five)

I guess the first day of school wore him out; Ang took this picture as she walked by us while I was reading "Dad, Jackie, and Me" to him at bedtime....

My favorite part of the picture? His left arm wrapped around my right.

Man, do they grow up fast; I need a pause button for my life.

Sox lead 11-1, Yankees are beating the Rays, Twins are losing to the Jays, and Rakes JUST about made me tear up.

All in all, I'd say it was a good day.

4 comments:

Tree Newt said...

It goes by WAY too fast, bro. Great post. We just get to watch over them for a time, train 'em up, and send 'em on their way. And it will be gone in a blink.

Ted D said...

Mattie, the older I get the more amazed I am at how fast life moves; I feel like I'm in one of those "life comes at you fast" commercials.

Dude, treasure the time you have with your girls; it's gone in what seems like a second.

Tex said...

I'm really trying to be sensitive but EVEN in the womb things were breaking and twisting and Rakes still came out smiling :)

He is invincible...he is MUNCHKIN!!

and btw the Jeter wearing ladies panties joke NEVER gets old. :)

Ted, so many parents who have a kid like Rakes...just dont let them hear their own drummer. Try to make them fit in their mold. Get frustrated when the kid is just being funny AND a kid. I really love it that you are NOT one of those parents.

Ted D said...

Tex, he hit the world with both feet running for sure.

He apparently agrees with you; the Jeter joke is ALWAYS funny; it's his fallback line!

I LOVE the fact he's his own person; I wouldn't want him any other way. It's just a bit more of a challenge is all!

He's my little man; as I tucked him into bed, he sleepily muttered "I love you, Dad".

It was all I could do to get out "I love you too, little man."

Little sucker knows what buttons to push. ;)