CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 22, 2007

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Jonathan Papelbon is certifiable. In a good way, but still, certifiable.

That's the best closer in the game in this picture: with over sized goggles on his head, smoking a cigar, and pouring a perfectly good Bud Light over a TROPHY.

I'm not sure if this was pre or post River Dance last night, and I don't even care. He has possibly passed Manny Ramirez as the biggest goofball in baseball. How a guy can be so intimidating on the mound, yet remind you of a skinnier, healthier Chris Farley off it, I have no idea.

What I love most about this team is that while it's definitely not the 2004 Idiots, they still seem to remember this is a little boys game: and while winning is the most important thing at this level, you won't be able to win without having some fun along the way.

Which is why I love seeing Pap river dancing all over Fenway, Lowell lighting up like a kid at Christmas last night, and the much improved bullpen jug band, led by head Pirate Mike Timlin, jamming away while the other team hits. Some guys like Manny and Lugo, the joy they get at playing this game is obvious: Others, like Tek, Beckett, and JD Drew are a TAD harder to read.

Papelbon is an open book, though. Serious as a heart attack while on the field, nuttier than an out house rat off it, he is a shining light of goofiness for the rest of the team to follow.

Lead the way to the promised land Jonathan: just don't forget to bring the Bud Light case, cigars, goggles, and River Dance lessons with you.

23 comments:

Tree Newt said...

Pap is certifiable, no doubt. It's just cool to see guys enjoying this. Hockey players are so freaking superstitious, they won't even smile upon winning the conference. No emotion until the Cup is in hand. Of course, it's cold on that ice, so maybe they can't smile.

Anyway, awesome to see the boys back in the dance. Now, get out the lucky ball and bat, sit on the edge of the couch, and will them to victory little Bro!

Tex said...

I'm really trying to keep this team separate from our 2004 boys. It IS a different team. yes some similarities: some of the players are the same, some have distinct personalities, some give us heart attacks, some give us smiles...

The differences: we have a a stuff pirate in the bullpen, we have a band in the bullpen, we have midgets, and a chief.

One note: adding up the numbers in both years
2004 = 6
2007 = 9
Both multiples of 3
3 is an odd number...as are our boys :)

Ted D said...

Mattie, not ON the couch.

BEHIND the couch.

But will them to victory? THAT I can handle.

Tex said...

ok I meant stuffed parrot. we need an edit button on posts :)

Ted D said...

Tex, weird: I was typing while you were I guess.

Anywho, this is NOT the '04 team: more professional, etc.. But Pap is the bridge, I think, between that team. Part Millar, part Tek, he's the face of the 2007 Sox.

The pirate, the band, the midget, and the chief ROCK.

And odd? No doubt about it.

Tree Newt said...

You guys are scaring me.

Ted, will it work this year? After all, you're not in the same house!!! You better find out if you can watch it from the ol' homestead!!!

Ted D said...

Crap, Matt. Didn't think of that.

I wonder if Hector's wife will think I'm weird if I ask to watch the games at their house?

Tex said...

newt
again. I. repeat.
it is NOT 2004.

different year. different mojo.

Ted
you just sit tight and have that couch ready

Ted D said...

Sorry Corn Nut: I've got to go with Tex here.

Different year, different team.

Besides, she's from Texas, if you didn't know: them Texas women are TOUGH.

Christine E. said...

Evening everyone...

STILL sinking in--the Sox are in the World Series!

Whoo hoo!

and Ted is (gulp) riverdancing...LOL

Hope everyone is well!

Go Sox!

Ted D said...

Now wait a minute Christine: I've been watching Papelbon, and I think I can River Dance with the best of 'em. ;)

HorshamScouse said...

//a perfectly good Bud Light//
Does not compute:)

HorshamScouse said...

Different series too. Resetting mojo until it's needed (per Cyn's suggestion) so I'll be watching the games from on (or behind) my sofa until such time as the Internet cafe is required again. I can only spend 4 hours in the company of spotty teenagers gaming online when it's absolutely necessary:)

Ted D said...

Horsham,

Good to hear: now, would a "spotty" teenager be the same as "annoying"? Just trying to keep up on my comprehension of the proper English. :)

HorshamScouse said...

'Spotty' as in 'with spots'. Separated by a common language:)

Stacy said...

Ted, Papelbon's antics just confirm that the Red Sox ARE the team for you. Grown men playing a little boy's game, and loving every minute of it. :)

Stacy said...

Oh, and I LOVE the new picture on blog header! Can't wait to see YOU riverdance. :)

Ted D said...

Gotcha Horsham.

Stacy, I saw that picture and thought it was perfect for the banner!

Anonymous said...

Dare I say, I don't follow baseball that much. Well, not at all really unless it were the Jays in the World Series. With that being said, you'll understand my next question. Who will the Sox be playing or has that been decided yet?

Ted D said...

Colorado Rockies, Denise. You know, if you weren't a friend of the family, I'd have to ban you!!

Just messing with you: however, I bet you can tell me who the back up goalie for the Ducks is!

Anonymous said...

No, can't say as I know who the is the backup goalie for the Ducks is either. I haven't watched hockey in so long either. Just like to bug folks back home about the Canes as they are Oiler, Habs and Leaf fans big time.

By the way, so far there's no plans for us evacuating but in case you don't hear from us in awhile, you'll know why.

Ted D said...

Was wondering if you guys were being affected by the fires: anything close to you?

HorshamScouse said...

I've just realised: 'spots' = 'zits' in this context!