CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Dirt Dog Returns. With Vengance.

When Angie and I found out our third child was going to be a boy, I immediately knew what I wanted to name him. We had already covered her side of the family with Ciera, and Rakes is MY moms maiden name, so I had a clean slate to work with.

My favorite Sox player since he arrived in Boston was Trot Nixon: how could you not love a guy who gunked his helmet with so much pine tar the B vanished, was perpetually dirty from diving and sliding, and would run through the bullpen wall to make a catch?

Better yet, how can you not love a guy who was on the disabled list and STILL managed to get tossed out of a game? Gabe Kapler had hit a home run and the ump blew it and ruled only a double. Trot ran out looking like he was gonna go upside his head and ended up getting thrown out.

So when Trot strolled to the plate last night with 2 on and the score tied 6-6, I got a feeling. A feeling that he was going to do something I wasn't going to like, and for the first time I'd actually have to say "Screw you Trot".

Wouldn't you know it, the S.O.B went and blooped a pinch hit single off lefty Javier Lopez (biggest knock on Trot has always been he can't hit lefties: think THAT hit felt good?) to break the tie and put the Indians ahead. Funny thing though: I didn't think screw you, or anything else negative. At that point in the game, I still had hope we were still in it: I was actually sort of happy for the guy.

After bleeding Red Sox red for 13 years and leaving parts of his body scattered all over Fenway Park and doctor offices everywhere, management basically told him his services were no longer required. Can't hit lefties, too injury prone, not worth the money you'll be wanting, etc...

Funny part is the guy who replaced him, JD Drew, could be called injury prone, not worth the money, can't hit lefties, etc... Don't get me wrong: I like JD, and at this point in their careers, JD is without a doubt the better player. He's had a lot of family stuff this season, pressure of a new team and new league, and I fully expect him to bounce back with a big year next season. I just miss Trotter.

So when he came through in his old stomping grounds last night, part of me was happy for the guy. Now, the perfect scenario would have been for us to stop the bleeding there and come back in the bottom and win. Didn't happen, and we head to Cleveland even at 1-1. Still, I think enough of the man to have named one of my children after him: so yeah, I may have smiled last night. Just a bit.

Finally, I think we did a good job picking the name. Little Trot has fallen down the stairs 5 times, fell off the couch and chairs more times than I can count, and has yet to meet a wall, table, or door frame he didn't think his head could take out.

Tough as nails: just like his namesake.

46 comments:

Tex said...

Trot "DirtDog" Dalton. if Trot decides to play ball of some sort...you HAVE got to give him that nickname :)

As much as I loved him on our team...he is NOT a Red Sox now...and I canNOT root for him while he plays against us. Yet I found myself not being able to root against him.

Last night was last night. Looking forward...not back.

Stacy said...

You definitely chose the best name for Trot...the boy is 100% dirt dog. Tough as nails and a sweetheart, too. :)

Tree Newt said...

I couldn't make it to the end last night, and our local rag went to press before the game was over. I didn't know the outcome until just now, reading your blog.

I knew naming your boy that would come back to haunt us.

But it fits.

Tex said...

so where's Scottie been hiding?

Ted D said...

Man, with Ciera wanting to get on the Hannah Montanna site, Rakes wanting to play on Noodle Net, and Ang having to email 4,000 people, I need a laptop.

Tex, I like the nickname! And while I didn't root for Trot, it did make me feel good he did well. It's got to be hard to be a back up in Clevland after all his years at Fenway, and if anyone had to be the one to beat us, I'm sort of glad it was Trot.

Stacy, hope you start feeling better soon: and yeah, I think we did good on the name.

Mattie, you're just jealous Amanda won't let you name a son Patty Roy!

And Tex, he pops in every now and then: I think he's pretty busy with the flower business. Plus, w/out you here for awhile, making fun of Matt and I is sort of like shooting fish in a barrell: I'll let him know you are back. ;)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ok, whats up with those shades? You get a oil change, car wash and a fillup and they toss in the sun
glasses?

Tex, glad you missed me. I figured you had, gotten married, moved to Mexico or joined a Nunerie

Ted D said...

No, genius.

Just a fill up.

//joined a Nunerie//

ROFL!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

That was pretty good if I must say so myself.

You seem pretty calm for a man locked in a death match

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Mattie can't make simple conversation over on his spot can he?

Ted D said...

I'm like a duck Bub: kicking like mad underneath.

I'll actually be shocked if this thing doesn't go 7 games. We have Papi/Manny, they have Pronk/Martinez. We have Beckett/Schilling, they have Sabbathia/Carmona. The big thing for me is we can pitch Beckett 3 times if we have to, and we have Papelbon. I think that will be the swing vote.

Tex said...

\\I figured you had, gotten married, moved to Mexico or joined a Nunerie//

married? LOLOLOOLOLOLOL ME??? LOLOLOLOOLLOLLL

moved to Mexico? why move there when I get their beer here?

a NUNERIE??? I dont like bad habits

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Don't you have one of those computers that dings when you got mail?

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ok, how about them Vikings. I told you my man AD was the real deal.

Ted D said...

Ah, Tex and Scott trading insults back and forth.

Life is again normal. :)

Bub, this MAY be the one person who can match you, joke for joke.

Ted D said...

You mean AP? Are you confusing your favorite teams again?

Tex said...

the only thing that dings on my computer is when I get a good deal on southwest.

Ted D said...

Tex, just make sure that thing dings next summer when the Tex SC family reunion takes place. Greensboro and Raliegh have a Southwest hub. Trot has "Tex" down, although it sounds like "Teeeh".

Still working on Aunt.

Tex said...

we'll try to work it around driving over to the minor league park for a game!

Ted D said...

Sounds like a plan.

JET said...

Sweet pic!

Thanks again for the support, my friend.

Tree Newt said...

I can't believe I missed an appearance by the ever-elusive Bubonator! Especially when he was on a roll!

Anonymous said...

Little T is not afraid to climb and I am pretty sure he learned that one from Little R. Is that right?

~**Dawn**~ said...

I just can't root against Trot. If anyone is going to knock in the winning run against us, it has to be him. Because he's Trot. And when he was unceremoniously kicked to the curb, all I wanted was for him to succeed where ever he went. The sad thing is I always got the feeling that he would have agreed to play for a hot dog & a beer, just to finish his career for our team. I miss him too, but he'll always be our Dirt Dog.

Ted D said...

Dawn, well said about Trot. I just can't help but wish good things for him. That said, it won't hurt my feelings if he plays tonight and goes o-fer. Or goes 4 for 4 with 2 outs and nobody on and hits all singles.

courtney said...

i had to make one of these dang things for my lit. class. so here i am. joining the family insanity.

Ted D said...

Courtney, embrace the insanity. You'll be fine.

Tree Newt said...

Where the heck did the bats go? This is ridiculous.

Tree Newt said...

What a play by Pedroia...if we're home, he gets that call. I know it was an out, but it was a heck of a play.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

First off Teddy. Its AD for allday Peterson.

I just relized two things, first I have a Indians hat in my closet. Second, for 50 mil. I could give you 5 innings of post season pitching with the same results.

Ted D said...

Mattie, guy is pitching a gem, and Tek just homahed: 4-2 now, so keep the fair, you dink.

Bub, I'm starting to think you have a hat of every team in every sport, just so you can pull it out when they win.

What will you two say if we come back and win this game?

Tree Newt said...

Keep the fair...I haven't been yet. We're going this week.

Ted D said...

Remind me again: are you SURE we're related?

Tree Newt said...

Unfortuantely...yes.

Tree Newt said...

I mispelled "unfortunately" so that we could start another cool mispelling catch phrase.

Tree Newt said...

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

I belive you two qualify for brothers from a different mother.

Tree Newt said...

Ever read "Pilgrim's Progress?" Stay away from Vanity Fair!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

I mispelled believe. Your turn.

Tree Newt said...

Hey bub, your comments on your availablity to pitch for 50 mil were classic, by the way.

Ted D said...

"Pilgrims Progress?"

I rest my case on the related thing.

OKAJIMER is pitching: all is well. Plus, Youk, Papi, and Manny due up.

You two are SO going to have to eat humble pie.

(I hope)

Tree Newt said...

Hey...I wasn't dogging the boys. I was just wondering where the bats went. We scored 10 freaking runs in game 1, right?

Tree Newt said...

And Bunyan's book is a classic, dink.

Ted D said...

Wait a minute: Paul Bunyan wrote a book?

Tree Newt said...

Oi vay

Tree Newt said...

I'm signing off..

you dink.

Ted D said...

Night Corn Muffin.

I'll try to pull them through myself.