CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 18, 2008

It's all in the name

I stumbled across this picture tonight while surfing the Internets, and even though I'd seen it before, I noticed a few more things tonight.

Obviously, you've got Tek in a state of shock and Millar, well, being Millar after the Red Sox swept the Cardinals in '04. But it's the background that you need to look at it.

First, there is Dave Freaking Roberts, he of the stolen base that will live forever, just behind Tek, raising his arms in victory. Then, just over Millar's left shoulder is the original Dirt Dog, Trot Nixon.

If you've ever read this mess of a blog, you know that we named our third child Trot. Contrary to what some people believe, that wasn't done lightly. We gave a lot of thought to what we named each of our 3 kids; believe me, I don't want one of them down at the county court house as soon as they turn 18 to change their name.

Ciera was a name Ang always liked, and her middle name of Allene is in honor of Ang's dad Alvis. Rakes is my Mom's maiden name and his middle name, Edward, is both mine and my Pop's middle name.

Trot Matthew is in honor of two men I hold in the highest regard; Matthew is for my brother Matt, who also happens to be my best friend NOT named Angie. Even though he's a dink, I love the guy. Trot, well, my love for all things Red Sox is well documented. And if you can find a better example of a ball player, let me know.

One day when he asks me why we named him Trot, I'm gonna tell him to go get Dad's book on the 2004 World Series team, find the guy with the filthy hat and the dirty uniform, and tell that person you were named for the roughest, toughest Red Sox player on that band of brothers.

Here's to Trot Nixon and Trot Dalton; two of a kind.

28 comments:

Tex said...

a pair of hearts is what I'd say. :)

i HEARD that picture.

Tex said...

Ted..where'd you go? faint? or defusing the bomb Rakes made?

Ted D said...

Naw, watching "Shooter" with Ang. Good flick, btw.

Tex said...

i added a new photo...new josh photo...NOW i know how big the deer was :)

Ted D said...

I saw it Tex. They may need to test that deer for PED's.

Anonymous said...

Great post man...Brought back some fond memories right there. I'm pretty partial to the Sox players that were around the longest when we won in 04. That's why when I decided it was time to throw down $200 bucks on an authentic jersey one year, I made it # 49. I won't rehash why on here (That would be a lengthy blog), but suffice it to say he's a guy I felt worthy of the hero moniker.

Krystle [RSO] said...

Nice post! He already sounds like a Trot kind of kid. I would probably name my boys (and somehow girls, I'll manage) from the 2004 time. Expect for Johnny Damon.

I can also say, I've met Trot 4? times. Great guy and LOVES kids.

Tree Newt said...

It's amazing how much that boy tries to emulate his namesake, even though he has no clue who Trot Nixon is. The falls, the spills, the daredevil dives...it's like he took on the characteristics that the name entailed!

Just pray it doesn't happen the same with his middle-namesake. If it does, hide the matches and NEVER buy a pool with a slide.

Stacy said...

You definitely picked the right name for little Trot...he is 100% dirt dog. Mattie's right; he's just like big Trot and has no idea who the guy is.

PS - I thought you might blog about what Rakes was doing when I came over last night. :)

Ted D said...

Wayne, you can't go wrong with Timmeh. Him crying on the mound one year after giving up the HR to Boone was pretty emotional.

Mattie, it's pretty amazing how spot on we were with that name, huh? And yeah, no matches. EVER. And Krystle, just don't name any girls anything like Tekiera or Ortizma.

Stacy, I wasn't really sure how to word what he was doing last night. Been thinking on it and I'll try to put something up tonight on it.

Krystle [RSO] said...

Mike Coolbaugh's wife named her daughter (who I think was born in Nov.) Anne Michael after obvious reasons. I'm sure to pull of a same sounding name.

Ted D said...

If anybody doesn't know who the Mike Coolbaugh is Krystle mentioned, read this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/story?id=2945798

Breaks your heart for his wife and kids.

Tex said...

They had a huge article here in austin about that incident when Mike was killed at that game. His wife lives in San Antonio. such a sad story.

Ted D said...

Bad stuff all right, Tex.

How'd the seminar go today? Did you wow them with words of wisdom?

~**Dawn**~ said...

If you raise these kids as good Sox fans -- and I have no doubt that you will! ;-) -- then he should see the true value of his name when he watches the 2004 Red Sox DVDs.

Ted D said...

Dawn, they may all turn out to be felons and career criminals, but they WILL be Red Sox fans. ;)

~**Dawn**~ said...

They'll turn out great. You just said you weren't raising them as Yankee fans. ;-)

Ted D said...

If you could see them right now, you might change your mind. It snowed today and they have been cooped up all day.

Gonna try to blog about it later.

Krystle [RSO] said...

It snows in NC? Where does the snow "stop" in the southern states?

Tex said...

oh yes cos Im the Master of All Knowledge Ted

~**Dawn**~ said...

According to my blog buddy Stacy, it snowed in Mississippi earlier today. Thankfully no snow-sighting here in Florida. It was in the 80s today. 77 right now.

Ted D said...

It snowed in AL and MS today, close to the coast I think. Snowed in GA too, so maybe FL is the only state it doesn't snow? Not sure.

//oh yes cos Im the Master of All Knowledge Ted//

Why am I getting insulted now?

Tex said...

I didnt mean it to insult you. sorry.

Krystle [RSO] said...

Oh wow. I know that it snows in Texas because I have an online buddy who's from there and in her area it snows.

Ted D said...

Tex, I was just picking with you. Sorry; should have put one of these ;) after it. I just figured I'd said something stupid as usual.

Krystle, it does snow in parts of Texas. Tex is in Austin; not sure if it snows much there.

Tex said...

north and west Texas and in the panhandle it snows in Texas more regularly...not so much the rest.

its snowed in austin once since ive lived here in 5 yrs...and we've had 2 ice storms.

Ted D said...

Our mountains get a lot of snow, and a few years ago Wilmington, which is on the coast got about 4 inches. It hadn't snowed enough to stick here in about 3 years but we got maybe half an inch on the yard today.

Back 6 or 8 years ago we had 2 1/2 feet once. We were locked down.

Krystle [RSO] said...

2 1/2 feet? That's almost nothing around here. Not at once of course but you get what I mean. That's the New England in me though.

At least we're not in Minnesota where my cousin is and it's 25 below zero outside.