CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

What Have I Done?

It's been 11 years since I got myself on an airplane, but tonight I did what was previously unthinkable; I bought a plane ticket.

To Boston.

Last time I flew was in '95 when Ang and I went to Cancun for our 5th anniversary; I'd flown several times before with no problems, and the flight to Mexico was a non issue. It was the one coming BACK that for whatever reason freaked me out. I remember the pilot coming on and saying something about "42,000 feet above Cuban airspace" and I started looking for a paper bag to breath into. By the time we reached Raleigh I LITERALLY kissed the ground and said never again.

Sometimes never means "for a while" I guess, because when my buddy emailed me and let me know he had tickets to some games and wanted me to come, what's left of my brain kicked into overdrive. Thanks to Skybus and a $82 round trip ticket I'm on my way.

Of course, all the good, kind, sensitive folks at Surviving Grady were VERY positive about the town I'm flying into ("I didn't know Chicopee even HAD a airport" was the nicest comment I can recall). However, I'm undeterred. Even the fact that I've been told in no uncertain terms that "If you can fly to Boston you can fly somewhere with me" doesn't worry me; like I told Ang, maybe this is just what I need to get me over this irrational fear I've had.

I'll get to see Fenway Park and the city of Boston with some good friends; some of whom I've met and some who I'm excited to meet for the first time. Before I actually BOUGHT the ticket, it was sort of like something I had on my Bucket List.

Now it's REALITY. And at the risk of making my brother go into a seizure, I've got to quote one of my favorite movies of all time. From Red in "Shawshank Redemption"...

"I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head."

Sorry Matt, but this time it's true. 'Cause 4 1/2 months from now I'll be looking at this in person.
I ask you. How freaking cool will THAT be?

16 comments:

Tree Newt said...

I just wish I could be there to see you crying like a little girl when you see the field for the first time.

Dude, you DO realize what this trip is going to cost you, right? I'm not talking about $82 roundtrip airfare and a dog and a coke. I'm talking about the "I've always wanted to go to the Bahamas" or "You know, I hear Hawaii is really nice."

You will have no excuse. None.

And i'm going to Laaaaaaugh at you so bad!

Ted D said...

I said it'd get dusty, not that I'd cry like a little girl. Dink.

Besides, Skybuy doesn't fly to either of those places. I am afraid a trip to Disney is in my near future though.

Any advice?

Tree Newt said...

find some friends that have digs down there. And be prepared to spend LARGE cash!!!!

Ted D said...

What? My sparkling personality won't get me anywhere?

Tex said...

Ted. dont let Matties jealous pettiness get you. I have a feeling the SGers will have your back this time. First time at Fenway is gonna be special. What I suggest is going to a game before you do the tour. or maybe the other way around...i dunno. Either way...you aint gonna need hardly any money. weakwaters are usually fairly cheap....outside the park.

just make sure to bring your camera. and plenty of bail money

Christine E. said...

Hey Ted:

So you are finally going to trek to the Holy Land huh? Good for you..:-)

You are going to LOVE IT!

Happy New Year my friend! Hope you and your family are well

43 days!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you go to Hawaii, I have new friends you can look up there. Let me know when you're going. I think its only a 12 hour flight. Hey if you can fly to Boston, you can fly with Ang anywhere! hahaha I'm on Ang's side on this one.

Ted D said...

Tex, hopefully I can take a tour of the park on Saturday. Getting in after noon on Friday in "The Valley" I'm pretty sure I won't have time then.

Camera for sure, along with extra batteries.

Hi Christine, yep I'm making the trip. I can't wait. And a Happy New Year to you as well. Doesn't seem possible that's all it is until pitchers and catchers.

Edge, WHY did I not know you'd be on her side? :) That big of a trip may be out of the question, but I'm sure she'll think of something.

Tree Newt said...

Tex, I wasn't talking about Ted having to spend large cash on his Boston trip (I'm sure he will get plenty of help from all the SGers!). I'm talking about how this little trip of his (and the subsequent loss of his "I can't fly anywhere" excuse) will cost him with his wife!

Ted D said...

I knew what you meant Matt. And believe me, it's already been mentioned.

I've got a feeling I'll be paying for this trip to Boston for quite a while. But it'll be worth it.

Redbeard76 said...

Was it the 42000 feet that made you hyperventilate or the Cuban airspace part? 'Cause you know, to any capitalism loving republican, that's pretty scary.

My inlaws are two towns over from Chicopee MA (airport used to be an air force base my cousins were stationed at for a time), maybe I'll hatch a plan to be in the area when you come up, would be great to meet you man.

Now if I could get someone to fund my trip to England, all will be good in the world. ;)

Tex said...

Mattie. honestly...I think if Ted gets to go on this trip to Fenway...he's gonna appreciate it...and for that alone...he will show Angie just how MUCH he appreciates it...she won't have to bug him or say anything...RIGHT TED?

Ted D said...

Stephen, I think it was a combination of the two. I imagine it was the thought of the plane crashing, me somehow surviving, and spending the rest of my life in Cuba. Or something.

Hope you can swing it. It'd be great to meet you.


Tex, of course.

Actually, I've already put my foot in my mouth about 4 times. More to come later.

JMP said...

Hey Ted,
Happy New Year!!!

SO your going to Bean Town!!!
Cool!!
Its a blast! Boston and the surrounding area have a lot to do...and lots of great watering holes..all them Irish people ya know!!

You might be coming to Disney??
Well if you do, pencil in some time to spend at my house..and bring water wings for Rakes and Trot!!

beckperson said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22463138/

Ted D said...

jmp, it is gonna be awesome. And the Disney trip is definately going to happen now that I'm going to fly. In theory, anyway. I have'nt gotten on the plane yet. But if the offer still stands when we do, you got a deal, man.

Becks I saw where you linked that earlier: 'preciate it.