CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bend it Like.... Rakes














Rakes had his first real soccer game today, and here he is getting ready to head to the field of battle. As you can see, he's already doing the "cup check" move he's undoubtedly picked up from watching Julio Lugo do it 437 times on a nightly basis.















Getting some last minute advice from Coach "Bendall": notice Wendell speaking right at him, while Rakes intently looks across the field, imagining the beatdown about to occur to the opponent. Either that, or a grasshopper just jumped onto the field.














Seconds after scoring his first ever goal, making sure I saw him "kick dat ball BEALLY hard, Dad." Moments later he runs like a madman to the middle of the field and slides into the circle. I guess I should be glad he didn't drop trou and get yellow carded for excessive celebrating.















Showing a healthy dose of mock-humility after scoring his second (of three) goals with Jessica.















Taking a breather on the bench with Ashley: I'm pretty sure she's wondering what exactly is wrong with him. He had just ran around the bench 3 times, jumped on, then off, then back on the bench again, followed by telling her it was "beally beally fun playing soccer practice".


Finally, walking across the field to share a post-game snack with his buddy Jeremy, who was on the other team: it was at this moment we found out one of the reasons why Rakes team scored so many goals. Jeremy's Dad was the coach for his team, and kept asking Jeremy why he didn't go get the ball.
Jeremy's response? "Because Rakes was playing with it Dad."

26 comments:

Nancy said...

Too freaking cute, Ted. And green. Very, very green.

Ted D said...

Hey Nance: it's very disconcerting isn't it? I think they picked the loudest colors for this leagues uniforms because it makes them stand out more: no one gets left behind.

KAYLEE said...

HE IS TOO CUTE!!!!!!!!! I love those pics! GO SOX AND I HATE JETER!

KAYLEE said...

great win for beckett.

beckperson said...

Ted, awesome pics! Must have been a real hoot to watch that game!

I heard Beckett, too. At least I don't have to change my name TOOOO much, unlike you.

:)

Stacy said...

Becksperson, it was a definite hoot to watch! Nothing on tv is that funny. :) Rakes has more energy than the rest of the team combined!

Ted D said...

Becks, it was classic: energy is definately not a problem with this kid. And as I watched him run around like crazy, I thought there is NO way he has a heart murmur. Thanks for the compliment: he's a good subject.

Stacy, email me some of the pictures you took will you?

Carol Rally said...

Ted - A fun title & series of photos - Way to go Rakes!

Ted D said...

Carol, I'm on wife duty right now, typing up a list for her. I'm going to look at your pictures when I get done: hopefully you've had the chance to put them up.

Carol Rally said...

They're up, and tell Angie that Stevie can wait ;)

Tex said...

better late than never but Rakes is just adorable in that suit!!

the only way today could have been better would have been if I could have BEEN at Fenway

KAYLEE said...

the only way today could have been better would have been if I could have BEEN at Fenway
***********************************

dont we all think that? :-P

HorshamScouse said...

So Ashley and Rakes are either the answer to life, the universe and everything, or they're celebrating Jackie Robinson Day a little late:)

Great pics Ted and the Sox won as well.

Ted D said...

Thanks Tex: and I was thinking about you when he plunked Giambi: I knew you'd be proud. I was!

Horsham, I had not even thought of that: too funny. Today was a lot of fun for me. First actual sporting event for one of my son's. BTW, did I get the right color for the excessive celebrating? I seem to remember yellow is minor and a red card is a major infraction, like that dude headbutting that one fella that time.

HorshamScouse said...

//the right color for the excessive celebrating//
Yellow for excessive celebrating is right. Zidane got red (= sending off) for the head-butt on Matarazzi (played for Everton briefly).

JET said...

Oh my, too many things here...

1) Rakes is ADORABLE!
2) //and slides into the circle//...combined with his speed and energy, I bet he'll make a great base-stealer some day (hint hint)
3) quite the chick magnet, eh?
4) //"Because Rakes was playing with it Dad."// Awwwwwwwwww...

Just too cute Ted.

Ted D said...

JET, don't think I haven't already been making comparisons to Jacoby in my head: plus Pedroia is so little, there is hope for the boy yet. Thanks for your nice comments.

How did yesterday go? I bet you, Kelly, and Cyn had a blast: did the place go crazy when Hinske ran over Posada? I did.

JET said...

The place EXPLODED when Hinske slammed Posada. And every single replay was reacted to like it had just happened anew. It never got old. People were cheering and high fiving like it was a QB sack in the Superbowl. I'm so glad I could enjoy that game with true Sox fans. It was a blast!

Great day for the Sox, Sox fans, and Rakes' team. :)

beckperson said...

Ted, I just wanted to let you know that my sister, Nancy (no, not THAT Nancy) reads your blog, thinks it's great, but is too shy to comment. :)

Ted D said...

JET, you explained the atmosphere perfect: I was yelling and screaming in my house and getting Rakes and Trot to high five me! Not quite the same thing!

Sister of Becks, thanks for reading and don't feel shy. It's a friendly place here, and your sister, JET, and Nancy (not you: the mime at the top of the comments today!) have classed the place up quite a bit.

But thank you for reading: I really appreciate it.

JET said...

//getting Rakes and Trot to high five me//

Toooo cute! I can totally picture you doing that. :)

Ted D said...

JET: Me do that?

Nah. ;)

Tree Newt said...

Bro, that was some of the best fun I've had in a while. Seeing that boy celebrate his 3 hat-trick (not that we were counting, mind you...that's not allowed!) was classic! What he lacks in size, he makes up for in enthusiasm and skillz!

Ted D said...

Mattie,

Really glad you guys got to see his game: good stuff.

He may be little, but he plays big.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Mattie, I believe that is skills with a s. Not that I am watching ANYONE else's grammer.

Hey Ted did you hear the one about the three Irans, oh never mind.

Ted D said...

Bub, I think I may have heard that one.

Oy vey, is that a circus act or what.

I think young Matthew may have been speaking some of that "young person" language: us Old fellas need to learn to keep up.