CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 10, 2007

Road Trip


I got home from Baltimore at around midnight last night, and slept, to put it kindly, like crap. After working in the office for most of the day, I took a quick power nap so I could be ready for the Schilling/Kazmir match up tonight.

Matt and Ted's excellent adventure went well, and we got to Baltimore relatively unscathed: the only blip on the trip up was that we somehow ended up at the downtown Washington D.C. bus station. Don't ask me: HE was driving. All I know is we nervously cracked "Vacation" jokes until we found our way back to I295N.

We pulled up to the Sheraton downtown about 2, where Mattie dropped me off to meet up with some of the other commenter's at the SG board for a get together at Shula's Grille, with the reservations having been secured by citizenhbg.

You know how you get nervous meeting someone you've talked to for a long time, but have never met in person? Now, multiply that by a dozen and you sort of get how I felt as I walked in the door. Beating me to the table were the aforementioned citizen, Kelly, Cyn, kdb, and of course, Tex.

After about 3 minutes my nerves faded and I spent the next few hours getting to meet some really great people. Citizen is one of the elder statesman at SG, but you'd never know it: truly a gentleman if I've ever met one. Kelly was exactly as she'd been described: funny, engaging, and within 5 minutes made me feel like I'd known her for the past 20 years. Other than being jealous of her camera, I can't think of a negative thing about her.

Cyn was quiet at first, and I was hesitant initially to strike up a conversation. I'm glad we did though, as we had a great talk about Dads and daughters, blogs (thanks for the help, Cyn) and baseball. KDB is actually Kurt Busiek, who has written comic books all his adult life: I hunted through some of ours that Mom had saved over the years, and sure enough, there he was, listed as "head writer" in several of them. Other than skipping out without paying his bill, he was great! He'd actually brought copies of his graphic novels for all of us, and graciously signed books for each of us.

What can I say about my adopted sister Tex? Well, for one, if you can't laugh in the presence of this woman, you've got serious issues. An infectious laugh, a sweet Texas drawl, and enough personality to light up a room, it was an honor to finally get to meet her.

Arriving a little later were BB, his wife DB, and brother AB: I didn't get to talk much with them, but came away feeling here are 3 people who enjoy life, don't sweat the small stuff, and especially in BB's case, the kind of guy I'd want to walk into a dark alley with on MY side. Also getting there a bit late were Rob and JD: a nicer couple you couldn't hope to meet. To have never met them, they made me feel like I'd known them for years in a matter of minutes. They also sent me multiple text messages during the game, including the one at 8:30 Saturday night:
GET IN THE CAR!

Last, but not least, are candaon and hayes: hayes immediately came in, gave hugs all around, and started rearranging all the glasses, silverware, and napkins on our end of the table while candaon made the rounds. As much as Tex may be my adopted sister, candaon could very well be my brother from another mother: don't know if I've made a friend as quick as I made one with him. Another plus is we had a contest to see who was the taller lil' fella: and I'm happy to announce I won! Together, hayes and c make the world a brighter place.

I have no clue what they thought of me: all I know is I've never been more happy to have been so wrong. There was no way, in my mind, that all these people would be like they are online: no way they could be that nice, funny, or welcoming. And they weren't.

They were even better.

In addition to the meet up, Matt and I spent Saturday night with my buddy Randy and his great family: thanks to Wendy for the Sunday morning breakfast, and to both of them for the free place to stay. And as far as our trips to Baltimore have gone, this one was the best of so far: we got to see Daisuke pitch (not well, but we saw him) on Sat. night, and we saw Beckett win number 18 on Sunday, with Pap getting the save.

I'm already looking forward to next year little brother.

34 comments:

KAYLEE said...

GLAD YOU GUYS HAD FUN:P

Tree Newt said...

I'm typing with one hand because baby C is out like a light, cradled in my left arm. Man, I missed this!

I, too, had a good time in b-more, little bro. Glad I got to meet Tex ang the gang...good folks all around! Tex, sorry we never got to put the waders on and go deep!

beckperson said...

Ted, it's so strange, isn't it? I had the exact feelings when I met up with the much smaller group in July. I felt like I knew them my entire life. I hope some day that we can get a larger group together - maybe in November, eh? We shall see. It was great reading your post and I look forward to more pictures soon! Congratulations on winning your contest with candaon! :)

Ted D said...

Mattie,

I had to referee three fights and threaten Rakes with imprisonment to get him to go to bed: TREASURE that!

becks, it's really strange that little corner of the world can have so many great people: and I'd LOVE to see a larger gathering. November sounds perfect!

As for pictures, I've got some more I'd be glad to email you: they aren't just very good. I'm hoping Kelly took a bunch and will throw them online. Plus, it looked like Tex has a pretty good camera as well, so maybe she can too.

Tex said...

I dont think I was this tired in july. This group done wore me out

Ted D said...

Tex, you'll feel better tomorrow: and it was a fun group, huh? It's probably a good thing I wasn't able to participate in anything other than Saturday!

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures: but I'm not expecting anything until SotB leaves this weekend: I hope you two have a great week. And Ang loved the picture of the two of us together!

Get some rest.

Tree Newt said...

Oh, by the way:

I slept like a baby last night...for about 2 hours. Baby C woke up around 3 am, and we had a little nap on the couch until 4 something before I put her back in the bed. Not as rough as yours, by any stretch, but not eventless!

I'm off to bed. Got my songs for chapel in the morning set (finally), and I'm ready to crash!

HorshamScouse said...

Glad you had such a great time, Ted.
I'm making these names:

Back Row: Rob, Mrs BB, BB, Candaon, AB, Hayes, Citizen.
Middle Row: JD, Tex, Ted.
Front Row: Cyn, Kelly.

Right?
And you came through it all unscathed.

How on earth did you end up in downtown DC?:) I know the I95/Beltway East interchange is a pig but....

Ted D said...

Horsham, ducked down behind Tex in the middle row is candaon, but otherwise, you nailed it. And I have no clue how we ended up at the bus station. We were following some map quest directions when all of a sudden, there we were.

sssssssss said...

//I have no clue what they thought of me: all I know is I've never been more happy to have been so wrong. There was no way, in my mind, that all these people would be like they are online: no way they could be that nice, funny, or welcoming. And they weren't.

They were even better.//

Know that we felt the same. At least I did/do! It was wonderful to finally meet you!!!

Jane said...

Ted, it was great to finally meet you and see what a real live Hummel looks like! Now get in the car!

Seriously - it was a pleasure. I love your enthusiasm for life and genuine nature, and am really looking forward to the next time we cross paths.

And hi Matt! Great to meet you as well.

Ted D said...

Cyn!!

It was great to finally get to meet you too: I hope I can make the next one, whenever/wherever it is.

Ted D said...

JD,

I must have been responding to Cyn when you commented: you and Rob were an absolute pleasure to meet. And hopefully, as a hummel, I didn't dissapoint.

Looking forward to next time.

Christine E. said...

Evening everyone:

Welcome Back Ted..glad to see the sewing/cooking blog idea went by the wayside...

4-0 already int h 3rd..whyd o I feel we are in BIG trouble this week?

Hope you are well!

Go Sox!

Ted D said...

Hi Christine: yeah, he tried but I've got to keep it the way it is.

Tough outing for Wake tonight: I'm hoping he's still not still knicked up with his back.

Don't worry Christine: we get our revenge this weekend. How'd the cruise go? Good time had by all, I'm sure.

Glad to have you back.

KAYLEE said...

I WANT RUNS!!!!!!!!! This game is making me feel worse:(

Christine E. said...

Kaylee: I knwo how you feel..but they just got 3 back, so maybe there is hope...

Ted, Trip was GREAT..hope to have some picture up at some point..:-) Godo to be back tho....Glad to hear you had a great trip as well..

and taking 2 of 3 from the Yankees would be reallyREALLY great right now...

Now 8-4--keep you fingers crossed....

Go Sox!

Ted D said...

8-5 now Christine.

Gotta love the Devil Ray 'pen.

KAYLEE said...

OKAY.......JUST WIN AND I AM HAPPY!
and maybe I could actually sleep tonight:)

Tree Newt said...

Ok, I need a name thesaurus to keep up with the screen names/real names of everybody!

Second, I thought Ted was a Hobbit, not a Hummel.

Third, what's the score now?

Ted D said...

Mattie, the Hummel is a LONG story: I'll tell it on the drive to B'more next year.

Skeeter is JD, and Cyn is, well, Cyn. You didn't get to meet her.

9-5 Rays, bottom of the 5th, 2 on and nobody out.

Tree Newt said...

Hate to say it, but for reasons you know, I hope I can't make it to b-more next year.

We're coming up Friday to spend the night with mom and dad...can you relate the Hummel story then?

Ted D said...

Well if you can't make it next year, I guess this weekend will have to do.

BTW: it's 9-8 heading to the top of the 6th.

NEVER count this team out.

Christine E. said...

Holy buckets! This is a nailbiter!

And since it looks like a Yankee win tonight (ewww) the Sox NEED to win this!

Go Sox!

Ted D said...

Kills me everytime, Christine!

And see? I told you not to worry. ;)

Tree Newt said...

I counted them out in the 2nd last Sat. when Dice-K imploded.

Ted D said...

That's because you have no faith in RSN, grasshopper.

Believe.

KAYLEE said...

I KNOW They will win.......I even told my yankees friend when we were down by alot........... That would bet him $10 on it.

Christine E. said...

Long live the Munchkin!

Whoo Hoo!

Tha sort of changes the complexion of the game, huh?

Go Sox!

Ted D said...

9-9 little brother: Munchkin just went yard.

Ted D said...

Mattie, if you are still here: Youk just hit a bases clearing triple, and it's now 12-9 Sox with NO outs.

KAYLEE said...

OKAY I AM HAPPY NOW:)

Christine E. said...

Well, THAT is certainly better!

Whoo Hoo!

But Uh oh, Timlin is out....this could get dicey...

Go Sox!

Ted D said...

Keep the Fair Christine: it's 16-9 Sox in the bottom of the 8th.