CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Through the eyes of a child

Rakes had a soccer game tonight, and we got home around 8. (2 more goals for the 3 year old version of David Beckham, btw)

After bath time, snack time, and story time, Rakes and I settled down for a few minutes to watch the game: Angie grabbed the camera and snapped this picture of me and the boy.

What you don't see is the proceeding conversation.

Rakes: Who dat Dad?

Me: Curt Schilling.

Rakes: What him Dad?

Me: The umpire.

Rakes: Me want to go in there Dad.

Me: In where son?

Rakes: In the TV Dad: me want to sit in the dugout with Papi.

Me: Rakes, you can't do that.

Rakes: Why not Dad?

You get the drift: for the next 25 minutes, the conversation didn't deviate a whole lot from that vein. Somehow he thinks he can climb into the tv and just join right in. I'm both overjoyed and more than a little worried my 3 year old can recognize Manny, Papi, Tek, and Schill by sight.

Sitting there on the couch together, watching a game with my oldest son? Good times.

Final score? 7-3 Sox, and the Yankees are doing every thing they can to drop a game to the vaunted Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Hopefully by the morning, we have a 3 game lead in the division and a magic number to clinch at 4.

I don't know what caused the earth to spin off it's axis: all of a sudden, JD Drew is our hottest hitter, Gagne is pitching scoreless innings (with a little help from Papelbon), Manny and Youk were back in the lineup, and this team is firing on all cylinders. Whatever it is, hopefully it won't stop until November.

As for that look Rakes is giving me? I like to think it's a look of "Wow. My Dad is really cool."

However, I'm worried it's more a look of "Wow. My Dad is really deranged."

Way I look at it, it's better the boy finds out sooner rather than later his Dad is mental when it comes to the Red Sox.

Sooner he finds out, the sooner he accepts his lot in life.

Update: Dioner Navarro just hit a walk off HR for the Devil Rays: 7-6 is the final. The Red Sox have a magic number of 3 to clinch the division.

Hehehe.

10 comments:

HorshamScouse said...

Cherish those times Ted, they'll pass all too quickly:(

//take some pictures of the glaciers and email me//
My usual trick is to mutter into my camcorder and put the (edited) result on Youtube, although I take lots of still pics too. Search on HorshamScouse on Youtube to see what I mean.

Ted D said...

Horsham, I never knew I was conversing with a friend of Speilberg! When I get home tonight I'll do that.

And I'm trying to appreciate this time: it's hard sometimes when you're right there in it: the old forest or the trees question.

But I'm trying.

Nancy said...

Rakes was born for commercials, Ted. Who knew he was a soccer prodigy also?

Ted D said...

Nancy, he was born for commercials or reform school one: it's really a tossup at this point.

And I don't know if he's a soccer prodigy or not, though he is pretty good. It may be more to do with the disinterest of some of the other kids. For example, one boy ran around holding his shorts up to his chest with both hands the whole time.

Real life is infinitely more funny than a sitcom.

JMP said...

Ted,
That picture is a keeper!
Cool that Rakes is into baseball all ready!
Enjoy the kids! They are a treasure.

~**Dawn**~ said...

If your three-year-old can recognize those guys by sight, then I must commend you on a job well done. ;-) You're doing a fine job raising the next generation of RSN.

Ted D said...

jmp, thanks man. Just got home in time for the game, plus I'm on Dad duty tonight with frick and frack: Ciera has a game to cheer at and I'm home alone with the boys!

Dawn, I'm doing my best. It's hard to teach love your fellow man to your kids when the Yankees exist!

Tree Newt said...

I'm just glad to see you ended the day on a high note. It doesn't get much better, does it? The REAL sport is starting next week, and I can't wait to introduce baby C to her Carolina Hurricanes.

Ted D said...

Corn Muffin,

Ending it on a high doesn't begin to cover it. Manny, Pedie, and Lowell were En Fuego tonight.

Real sport? Beat womens volleyball in the ratings and then come talk to me.

Just busting your balls a little: NESN is all over Cam Neeley coming back as the GM of the Bruins. Hopefully, the 'Canes can be more like '05 than '06 this year.

Stacy said...

Ted, I'm both proud and a little frightened that at the age of 3, Rakes knows so much about the Sox. He may have a place in history as the youngest memeber of RSN. :)