CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I haz a sad.

Tonight at Fenway Park, we may be witnessing the end of an era.

Trot Nixon, long gone from the Red Sox, but since I named my son after him he's never more than a few rooms away from my heart threw out the first pitch.

The guy who caught it? Only the best catcher to ever don the Red Sox uni this side of Pudge Fisk and who quite possibly won't be brought back next year.

And the starting pitcher? Tim Wakefield, who is 42 years old and just got rocked with 3 HR's and 5 runs in his 2+ innings of work tonight. I have no idea what Theo and the front office is thinking in regards to Wake; that restraining order I got back in the spring sure isn't helping matters. Who knew the guy would be that sensitive? I mean c'mon; I don't think anything I said deserved me going through a mental evaluation and 36 hours of "observation".

Whatever. It's the top of the 6th, the Sox are losing 6-1 and are staring at being down 3-1 in the series. You know what that means, right?

We've got 'em right where we want 'em.

Ask the MFY's how it felt to be up 3-0 in 2004. Better yet, ask the Indians how it felt to have a 3-1 lead only to watch Papelbon dancing around the infield in his underwear with a 12 pack box on his head at the end.

I don't know if it was Casey Stengal, Yogi Berra, or Benny Hill who said it first, but the phrase "It ain't over till it's over" keeps banging around inside my head. Plus the fact that Chip Carey needs to learn some freaking humility and some respect for the defending World Champions. Plus it gives him a chance to hit the barbershop and have those caterpillars trimmed off the top of his eyeballs. Does the dude not have a mirror in his house?

Anywhere?

For now, I'm headed to the garage and the relative safety of the car. On the downside it's not air conditioned, I can hardly open my door due to all the toys along the wall, and there is no television.

Positves? No television. Which means Chip, Buck, Ron, Pip, Alvin, and Pauley Shore (I'm not positive, but I think he's working the TBS pre-game show) are nowhere to be found. I just need to accept the fact that October baseball, in particular the ALCS is a test of my faith about the Red Sox.

2004 and 2007 say Keep the Fair.

So I will.

See you Thursday night, Tampa.

Do you believe in ghosts?

11 comments:

Tree Newt said...

Oooofff.

Ted D said...

Tough night, Newt.

But 2004/2007 says Hello.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Every year, I go through a moment where I hit my absolute low. I admit defeat, to get it out of the way. I just have to say it once. Come to terms. Not because I don't believe in possibility, but because I need to feel the loss. And after that, I can sit back & enjoy baseball for as long as the boys can play. I don't want to get to the potential last game & not be able to soak it in. Just in case.

That photo you chose just made my heart sing.

Tex said...

::knocks on Ted's car door, mushes face against window with sad face::

Ted D said...

Dawn, I get how you feel. But I just can't give in. I'm glad today is an off day so I can recharge, but I'll be redlining my blood pressure come tomorrow night.

::gives Tex a sad face back::

Redbeard76 said...

Ever since McCain started saying "We've got 'em right where we want 'em", I'd personally back off this phrasing a bit.

But yes, I'm keeping the faith. Until elimination, I'm not hanging my head in shame, and even then, they played a hell of a season despite all the issues. I just can't be one of these negative people saying it's over. Not after THE WALK, THE STEAL, AND THE HIT.

Ted D said...

I hear you, Redbeard. Even if they don't go on, I'm proud of the way they battled all year long. From Manny to Tek being off to Lowell and Drew fighting injuries all season long and even Beckett being not himself, they've fought the good fight.

And tomorrow is a new day.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Not giving in, Ted. I think speaking it allows me to release the demon & bolster myself. Like exhaling toxic air & inhaling clean fresh air. No matter how crushing the blow, I just can't get enough of these boys.

That photo is *still* making me smile. I think I am going to make it my new desktop image. Is that a Kelly shot?

Ted D said...

Dawn, sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean YOU'D given up, just seen a lot that have. And I'm with you, I can't get enough either.

I found the picture at yahoosports.com. Just type in Trot Nixon; there is about 5 or 6 of him at Fenway last night.

gojohn said...

I'm not giving up yet either, even though these last 2 games were hard to watch

Ted D said...

It's been tough, John. Hope you're doing OK.