CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Reality Bites.

It's the 6th inning and the Red Sox are losing 5-0 to the Tampa Bay Rays.

Other than trying to resist the urge to find one of my neighbors who is willing to swing a sledge hammer full on into my gibleys, I'm oddly calm about the fact tonight may very well be the last time I see the Red Sox playing baseball this year.

I'm sure part of it is because if they lose I won't have to hear Chip Freaking Caray scream the words "Fisted, gliding, hammered, and stroked" until next season. For a guy with his pedigree, he comes across as nothing more than your standard homer announcer calling the local minor league affiliates game.

Also, it's been a pretty amazing year for me personally, at least as far as the Red Sox go. In May, I was able to go to Fenway Park for the first time in my 38 years. For a 3 game series vs the Brewers. Which the Red Sox SWEPT. Then, on the way home, Jon Lester pitched a no-hitter vs the Royals that I didn't find out about until around midnight that night.

Follow that up with getting to go to Game 3 of the ALDS, courtesy of the generosity of my friend Rob, and 2008 was nothing short of awesome.

Yeah, I'd have loved for them to have repeated as World Series Champions. But with Mikey on the shelf with a bum hip, Tek looking positively mortal, and the starting pitching deciding the ALCS was the perfect time to start throwing BP it didn't look good. Throw in Ellsbury hitting the proverbial wall, Pedie slumping, and Ortiz and his bum wrist and it's an ever loving miracle we made it this far.

I kept the Fair. Never gave up. But sometimes, it's just not your day. Big props to the Rays; I kept waiting for them to trip over their own feet and they NEVER DID. Great pitching, timely hitting, and they have rode the wave all the way to the end. All I can do is tip my cap, wish 'em luck, and pray the Phillies beat their brains in.

All I know is that every year, when the season starts, my team has a better than even shot of reaching the playoffs. We've been to the ALCS 4 times in the last 6 years and won it all twice. Ask the MFY's if they'd like to have that record in the 21st Century.

So I won't be tossing Tito, Papi, or the guy who keeps the pitching mound ready under the bus. It's baseball; if you don't get lucky you're in BIG trouble.

So I look to 2009 as "We'll get 'em next year." And I wish nothing more than Lowell get healthy, Beckett find his swagger again, and hope that next October will find Pap dancing around Fenway in his boxer shorts with a beer box on his head.

Although I'm still imagining a Mothers Day Miracle for tonight.

The Fair?

It's being kept.

POSTSCRIPT: We won. 8-7. I think I need a angioplasty.

On to Tampa and I wonder if those boys feel the noose tightening around their neck yet?

9 comments:

Bickley said...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Ted, you did the same thing I did! And lookit what happened!!!

WOOT!!!

My freakin' WIFE was still watching the game while I was listening at work, and she just got home from the hospital today! She called me right as the radio was announcing Drew's hit. Internet radio is a pitch or two behind.

Do we dare hope for another 3-1 comeback? Do we dare? *shudder*

I would have loved to have seen your house in the bottom of the ninth tonight.

I think they should start Byrd Saturday.

HorshamScouse said...

Happy Mother's Day, Ted. :)

HorshamScouse said...

I love knowing they won and you don't know yet!

I expect to hear your cheering from here when you wake up and find out.

Ted D said...

Bickley, WE DID IT!!!! I was freaking out and Ang was TICKED!

Horsham, Happy Mothers Day to you too! I was awake; just superstitious. Turned everything off but the tv and spent the last 3 innings perched on the ottoman in front of the tv. Freaking Sox; they can't make it easy.

Tex said...

I'm posting some last years mojo....will bring it tomorrow for Beckett.

Sarah said...

1) My sister was at that game. I went from hating her to feeling awful for her to hating her again!

2) My friend Tom called Papi's 3-run shot. I almost cried when he said it, shook my head incredulously and said "Don't do this to me, don't do this to me...", and then I shook my head incredulously and jumped up and down and hugged him. And bought the beer he was working on.

3) Typical bar tab for me is $18 including food and a drink or two; last night it was $50 including food, four drinks, and a shot (and Tom's beer).

4) When I sang my first song at karaoke last night, we were down 7-0 and I told everyone, "Yeah, I look like an a-hole.", but I said it with an impish grin. Second song was Sweet Caroline because Ortiz had just hit the money shot. Third song? We were tied. Fourth song? WE WON!!! :D

5) Everyone in my department thinks I'm absolutely bonkers.

Ted D said...

It worked last year, Tex. No problem trying it again!

Sarah, it was a mental roller coaster for sure last night. Don't think I've ever been that sad and frustrated to that elated in one night. And we're all bonkers, so tell your department to take it easy! Sounds like you had a great night!

Tex said...

funny thing is last years post are so true for this year...eery

Ted D said...

It's like Groundhog Day!