CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Captain Comeback?

I know one game is a small sample, but man was it nice to see the Captain get two hits last night.

Best part? One of them was a 2 run dinger that put the Sox ahead 2-0, which turned out to be all they needed, even though they plated two more runs as some insurance in an eventual 4-0 win.

For all the gnashing of teeth about Tek's extended slump, gone unnoticed by the casual public has been his typical stellar work behind the dish and handling of the pitching staff. Name me 5 players who have looked as bad as Varitek at the plate over the past few months that HASN'T had their fielding affected adversely. Not too many players can separate the two, but somehow he has. And that's just one of the myriad reasons he wears the C.

I loved Tito's response after the game regarding his catcher:

He said he wouldn't pinch-hit for Varitek, batting .114 in his past 26 games. "I won't hit for him. We need him. I believe in him. I will always believe in him. When times are tough, you don't waver from that".

God love Francona; the rest of the world is screaming for Tek's head and Tito just calmly lays it out. IMO, the man doesn't get near enough credit for the way he handles the team, both on the field as well as off.

In other news, Manny almost got arrested for jay walking after the game last night.

Of course he did.

Finally, I've got the ear worm from hell because Rakes spent tonight screaming this song from Monsters Inc. at the top of his lungs:

"Put that thing back where it came from, or so help me so help me Goodbye!
Put that thing back where it came from, or I'll poke myself in the Eye!"

Only with him it was more like this:

"Put dat ting back bere it tame from, or so help me so help me Doodbye!
Put dat ting back bere it tame from, or I'll poke mytelf in de Eye!"

Over and over and over again for what seemed like hours, but was most likely only minutes before I told him I was going to sell his vocal chords to science if he didn't immediately cease and desist.

Who knew boys came with built in megaphones?

14 comments:

Tex said...

to quote you.


Of course they do.

Ted D said...

Well, somebody could have told me. ;)

Tex said...

uhmmm youu wera wonece a boy

Ted D said...

I was a perfect angel, quiet and well behaved.

I have no idea where this wild behavior these boys exhibit comes from.

I think I'm forced to blame my wife and leave it at that. ;)

Tree Newt said...

I saw Tek's stats on the ESPN ticker last night, and had to smile. Indeed, that's why he wears the "C".

I'll be thinking of you while I'm in enemy territory during the 3 game set this weekend. Man, if only it had been in the Bronx! Would I have made you jealous, or what?!!

Ted D said...

Dude, #1? You'd best take your Sox cap or you are out of the will.

#2? You wouldn't last 5 minutes in the Bronx. Neither would I, but that's beside the point.

#3. Tek is the man. No question.

#4. You go see some girly-man broadway show and I'm not letting up for a solid month.

Tree Newt said...

#1. I'm from Benson, NC and I go to NYC wearing a RS hat? Do the words "Get a rope" mean anything to you?

#2. Dude, you wouldn't last 5 minutes at the airport in NYC, muchless the Bronx.

#3. Tek is the man.

#4. Dude, I'm married to a theater major. You think I can go to NYC and NOT see a broadway show? You better recognize!!

Ted D said...

#1. Grow a set, will you?

#2. I'd be the miniature version of Snake Plisken; they wouldn't know what hit 'em. ;)

#3. I agree 100%.

#4. See my answer to #1. ;)

Have a ball, little brother. And whatever you do, DON'T ask for directions. I've seen enough movies to know this is a BAD idea.

Tree Newt said...

Roll 'em up!!!!

Ted D said...

Heh.

Clark Griswold quotes sort of rule my life.

And I even have a Cousin Eddie; how scary is THAT?

Sarah said...

Thanks for posting that link regarding Manny's arrest. By the time I read the article and the "first" 220 comments... another 20 were posted. And some of them were HILARIOUS; here are some of my favorites in case other people don't want to read them all:

" This just in - Manny also ripped a tag off his pillow at home, washed his hair, rinsed, but DID NOT repeat as the label clearly stated.
It is alleged that he also squeezed the toothpaste tube from the middle; that investigation is ongoing. Film at 11pm.
Posted by Bruiser July 22, 08 01:57 PM"

" Finally Manny walks instead of striking out, and he gets crap for it.Posted by psb July 22, 08 04:34 PM"

" Manny just chose the wrong misdemeanor...
Next time he needs to wait with the crowd and urinate in public as that is only a $25 fine!Posted by Seewu July 22, 08 06:58 PM"

Oh, and someone called A-Rod "A-Fraud". Clever :)

Ted D said...

Sarah, those are hilarious! I like the "Manny walks instead and gets crap.."!

Manny is a reality show waiting on a network

~**Dawn**~ said...

The best part of my week so far was Tek's homer. I couldn't have been happier for him. It hurts to watch him struggle.

Ted D said...

It was nice to see the Captain finally get ahold of one, wasn't it Dawn?