CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Strange Days.

It's hard to believe it was a little over two months ago I was sitting with Kelly in a Loge seat, about even with the pitchers mound, watching the first game of an eventual 3 game sweep vs the Brewers.

On the night I flew home, Jon Lester threw a no-hitter, the countdown to Manny's 500th was nearing it's end, and with the Sox in first place all was right with the world.

Man, does time change everything; here we are on July 30th, the freaking Tampa Bay Rays are 2 games up in first place, and with the Red Sox losing to the Angels 8-2 in the 7th inning it's fixing to be by 3 games. The Yankees are one game behind us and we're in an honest to God pennant race heading into August.

Throw in Manny going postal the last few weeks, getting swept in LA and now most likely at home by the Angels, and dropping 2 out of 3 to the Yankees last weekend and it's like I've stepped through the baseball equivalent of the looking glass.

Add to all of this excitement is the 4 p.m. trading deadline tomorrow afternoon; various rumors have Manny going to the Marlins, Phillies, Mets, and some team in Cozumel, Mexico for a case of Corona's and the previously unknown Molina brother. 'Cause you know there has to be more of those no hitting, slow footed catchers around somewhere.

What does it all mean? I got no clue; all I know is I want the boys to start winning, the Rays to start losing, and a meteor take out The Toilet. I want Manny to shut up and start hitting bombs, handing out man hugs, and randomly point at Eric Chavez this weekend for no reason.

As long as I'm asking, let's shoot for the moon; I'd like to see Beckett go on a 10-0 run to end the year, Jason Giambi gets his stupid moustache caught in a cheese grater and JD Drew put the MLB record for consecutive at bats with a home run out of reach with let's say 27 straight. It'd thrill me to no end if Pedie charged the mound against 6 ft 6 Daniel Cabrera with a wiffle ball bat while screaming "Remember the Alamo!", Youk to line a Joba Chamberlain fastball right off that dinks NY logo on his cap, and I hope that come October I'm laughing at how worked up I got about a series vs the Angels in July.

Just like Red in "Shawshank Redemption", I hope. I hope they win the division and I hope Manny quits acting like Rakes when I tell him that 5 donuts is most definitely enough.

Mostly though?

I hope Slappy gets his foot ran over by a NYC bus while stepping of a curb tomorrow.

Simple guy = simple pleasures.

Is it 4 p.m. tomorrow yet?

18 comments:

Tex said...

......

Ted D said...

'Zactly, Tex.

Tex said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ted D said...

???????????

Tex said...

$#@@$$#^^%&*$%$#%^#*&%^%***##$@B #W$T#^T #$# W$$$$$$ ^%^%%%%% ^FFFFFFFFFFF $$$^^#$% #$%%Y& ^^^^
. .
^
^^^

Bickley said...

I think we should have taken the Corona. Who is Jason Bay?

Sarah said...

Can you say, good riddance??

I have to say, I've been a Manny fan forever, and I've kind of appreciated and enjoyed his antics. But what he's said about the management of late, and what he's done to the clubhouse (and don't tell me he wasn't a distraction this past week)... I've had enough. I'm glad to see him go... and glad he's in the NL so we don't have to face him now that he might actually start to play again.

As for Jason Bay, his stats actually look rather comparable to Manny's on the year, and who knows? Maybe he'll actually run down a ball that's hit to him! Just saying...

Ted D said...

Hey Bickley! Sounds like the trip was fantastic! Bay is a good, solid ball player who has good numbers and is a dirt dog when it comes to playing the field.

Sarah, my man love for Manny is well documented and I'm sad he's gone. I do think he most likely would have poisoned for the rest of the year and it was time to go.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Now that I've finally collected my jaw off the floor and am left here feeling weird... I have to say I don't know how I feel about this. I believe that Manny was only one piece of the puzzle for what went wrong but the only one that was removable since the front office & the media obviously aren't going anywhere. I can't believe we gave up Manny *plus* $7 million *plus* Moss & Hansen. I sure hope Bay is a quick learner when it comes to the Monstah. Anyone know anything about his throwing arm? I know offensively he is pretty close to Manny in every category & he's six years younger. Is he a rental? Will he be a free agent after the season?

Also, I am glad for Moss, as I don't think he was going to see any real playing time in Boston any time soon & he was ready. And while I am not necessarily sad to see Hansen go, what I want to know is how did we not pick up *anyone* to help in the floundering pen but we gave up a piece?? I am confused what their thoughts are there...

Krystle said...

Dawn - everyone is calling him a rental player that I know. Who know with Manny, who knows.

I dont know if anyone here was watching NESN but it was just crazy with Carfado and Edes (who my mom graduated with) getting phone calls on the show. My anti-Manny friends (who ironically just BECAME anti-Manny) were freaking out because it was past 4 and nothing was said. I told them to chill out and wait. What an interesting thing to be right on...

I'm going to miss Manny, I'm sure you'll have a blog on this - I may actually write a blog now for this. I'll miss his bad and I'll miss him September and knock on wood October. Am I going to miss his antics? Some of them, not the ones that you guys knew he would do now.

I just hope this Jason Bay is going to be someone special, because there isnt ANY pressure in Boston to do good or anything, right? More on this soon.

Krystle said...

urgh, bat not bad. because a typo of bad is too ironic...

Ted D said...

I still can't believe it either, Dawn. I'm trying to compose my thoughts but it's not working too well right now. Bay is a good player and is Trot Nixonish in the way he plays the game; hard nosed, run through a wall type guy. He'll be a fan favorite in Boston in no time. But the whole trade is a puzzle; how did we not get an arm in the deal?

Krystle, I'll never be anti-Manny. He gave me too many laughs and too many cheers to not like him. It's just a sad day all around.

Tex said...

Ted, just make sure you're next fav player isnt Beckett. your favs tend to leave.

im just sayin. I had overlooked stuff. And of course the media isnt going to paint a bad picture of the F.O. So we'll never know everything but perhaps Manny should have just went quiet. That last quote to the media didnt win him votes unfortunately.

but Im still sticking my head in the sand...well its not me but it was the best pic i could find of how i felt

Christine E. said...

Evening everyone:

HOLY BUCKETS!!! Can you believe Manny is gone! I, for one am THRILLED about it--he was killing this team. Hopefully they can get back to the business of winning.

The only one I am sad to see go is Brandon Moss--I liked him. Craig Hansen was dreadful, so I am glad he is gone, but I would have liked to see an addition to the bullpen--but there is still time for those kind of deals, so hopefully, once the dust settles, they will pick someone up.

Hope everyone is well...

Welcome to a new world...:-)

Go Sox!

Ted D said...

Tex, we all did it. Because he was Manny. I chose to overlook the bad and I still do. The guy gave me too many happy memories to change the way I feel about him now.

Ted D said...

Hey Christine,

I can't be glad about it personally. As much as I realize what was happening the past few weeks, I'm gonna miss him.

Crystal said...

I agree with Tex, don't make Beckett your next favorite! :)

I thought that I would be relieved to see Manny leave, I was so angry with him and everything he's done as of late. But, I'm actually really upset. I had to call my mom (huge Manny fan) and tell what happened. She was balling. She doesn't pay attention to any of the "politics" surrounding the situation, she just loves Manny.

It's the end of an era, but this too shall pass.

Cheers to kickin' ass through August and September! WOOT! GO SOX!

Ted D said...

Crys, it's been a long, strange day for sure.

PV's to your Mom and it's like I told my brother tonight; it's not how you're playing NOW, it's how you are playing come October.