CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 21, 2008

Just another day for the RSD and Rakes

I was grilling steaks for dinner tonight and Rakes wanted to come out on the back deck with me to "help". While walking around, he discovered we needed some nails pounded back in on the steps and a few on the deck, so I got the hammer and let him go to town.

Yes, I let Rakes have a hammer; what can I say? I was flat out exhausted. In one of my patented moves as a Dad, I decided we'd all go swimming for 3 hours this afternoon to wear them out and I could get a few hour of peace during nap time. Worked like a charm with Trot, but Rakes was having none of it. He watched Pirates of the Caribbean for awhile, then wanted to play Sponge Bob on the PS2, then finished up with Captain Jack Sparrow, while all I wanted to do was lie on the sofa and read in silence. Needless to say, I didn't get a lot of reading done.

After pounding nails on the deck for 20 minutes you'd think he'd be so wore out he'd be begging me to put him to bed. Sadly, that assumption was wrong; not 5 minutes after dinner he hit Trot with some sort of pro wrestling move that ended with both of them sprawled on the hardwood floor and Trot crying for the next 30 minutes.

At first we thought Trot had dislocated his shoulder, but by the end of the night he could put his pajamas on without crying so I'm wondering if it's just a bruise. We'll check him out in the morning to decide whether he needs to see the Doc, but if 3 different trips down the stairs didn't send him to the ER, I'm counting on this being just a blip on the radar.

While Ang put the little dirt dog to bed, I got Rakes a snack and a drink and put him in my room to watch Noggin. Which is where I found him 10 minutes later, cup on the floor and sound asleep amidst a pile of popcorn he'd knocked over.

As I shut his door after tucking him in, I listened to the suddenly quiet house settle down around me while the NESN pre-game show dimly played in the background and came to the following conclusion.

I have no idea how my wife does this everyday and isn't addicted to some kind of mind-altering drug.

21 comments:

Redbeard76 said...

If she was on the mind-altering drugs, do you think she'd tell you? LOL

Rakes with a hammer? I'm afraid.

Ted D said...

Probably not, Redbeard.

And I was 5 feet away while he was wailing away with that thing; afraid doesn't begin to cover it.

Redbeard76 said...

Hey what's that sticking out of your head, Ted? Oh it's just a hammer claw. Here, let me get you a band-aid.

Ted D said...

Yeah, a four year old with an arm like Willie Mays can't do that much damage, right?

Thanks for the band-aid, Redbeard.

What blood type are you again?

Redbeard76 said...

Any type but yours, most likely. Hey the band-aid's got Spongebob on it. It suits you well. ;)

Ted D said...

Goes well with my hematoma, right?

Tree Newt said...

You gave Rakes a hammer?!!! (sigh)

If the bone isn't poking through, he's alright.

And stay-at-home-moms are tougher than us. Just admit it. We can't cut it. Think about it: they work twice as hard as us for no pay, and we can't handle the weekends.

Ted D said...

Yep; I've gave the boy a hammer. Surprisingly, he didn't send anyone to the hospital.

And the Mom's have us beat hands down.

Just don't tell 'em that. ;)

Redbeard76 said...

It's not a tumaaahhhh!!!

~**Dawn**~ said...

I am probably breaking about 14 different woman codes by saying this, but Ang has a stash of chocolate (for her, not the kids). I guarantee it. That's her secret.

Ted D said...

STOP IT, REDBEARD!

Dawn, you realize the tribe is going to ignore you now, right?

::looks for secret chocolate stash::

~**Dawn**~ said...

I'm probably getting my "woman card" revoked by morning. However, I am very confident you'll never find the stash. She's protecting her sanity, and she knows *all* the places no one will ever think to look.

Ted D said...

You're probably right. She told me the other night she was going to Target; I never saw a package.

Redbeard76 said...

Awww, just having a bit of fun...

Ted D said...

I hear you, Redbeard.

I hear you.

Anonymous said...

As your friend I need to caution you. Have you checked the price of tools lately? It's not too late. Find something else to encourage him with. It will save you a heap of cash. You're just going to have to take my word on that.

Ted D said...

Edge, right now I'm just wanting something to keep him from a life of crime; if it's a hammer, so be it! ;)

Redbeard76 said...

That doesn't sound like a good "i hear you". Ok, i'll shutup now.

Ted D said...

Redbeard, it's all good. I wish I had the winking smiley guy here; I took your comment in the vein you wrote it as it's all good fun.

Tex said...

"I never saw a package."

women dont have packages.

Ted D said...

Tex,

:p




;)