CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rakes Cracks Me Up, Part 4,957.

After getting home @7:30 and scarfing down a hamburger, Rakes and I spent the next hour and 15 minutes helping Sponge Bob fight his way through Goo Lagoon on the PS2. I finally convinced him to watch a few minutes of Handy Manny before he went to bed; as we got his water and headed to my bedroom, he was talking non-stop about getting through Bikini Bottom on his game, why did Anakin Skywalker have a blue light saber instead of a red one, and is Manny's long hair really his.

After about 10 minutes of non-stop chatter, the following exchange took place:

Me: "Rakes, you are making me weak in the knees with all these questions."

Rakes: Dad! YOU are making ME beak in de knees ben you don't answer!"

Kid's got a point.

Although this happened a few days ago, I feel like I need to get this one down in writing so I won't forget it. Rakes, upon finding something on the hall chest in the foyer decides he needs to share it with me.

Rakes: "Oooh. Bhat is dis, Dad?"

Me: (sleep deprived from the first 2 Sox/Mariner games) "It's probably something Trot picked out of his nose; go throw it away in the trash can."

Rakes: (with the most devilish grin you can imagine) "I dust ate it, Dad."

He's 4 years old.

What in God's name is he going to be saying in 5 years? Or 10?

It's nights like this I need the Red Sox to help me keep myself sane; the fact they are off doesn't bode well. Considering the Yankees come to town tomorrow night you'd think I'd be renting that padded room out sooner than I figured.

Turns out I'm fairly calm; maybe it's the fact the Sox have won 2 championships in 4 years. Or it could be I'm comfortable in the knowledge Matsui, Posada, and Damon may miss considerable time for the rest of the year.

Or maybe, just maybe, the past 4 years have cleansed me of that angry, agitation laden feeling I'd always get when we played the Yankees and I just waited for the other shoe to drop.

The MFY's have just become another team on the schedule that we need to beat in order to get to October. My imaginary shrink would call that progress.

Who am I kidding? I'll be wishing carnage and destruction on those pinstriped dinks less than 24 hours from now or my names not the RSD.

Red Sox/Yankees.

I live for this.

9 comments:

Tex said...

I'll be eating bbq with friends friday evening. I need stress relief and i dont think baseball will give it to me this weekend.

Ted D said...

Tex, I'm pretty sure Sox/Yankees won't be relieving any stress.

In fact, I'm considering actually taking that blood pressure medication my Doc gave me a year or so ago.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Good. Lord. That boy is something else.

Good news! Rays just lost in KC! We enter the weekend series tied for first!

Ted D said...

Dawn, you said a mouthfull.

Rays lost? Sox in a tie for first place?

WOOOOOOT!!!!!

Redbeard76 said...

Hey Ted, I posted this over at SG and figure you'd get a kick out of this (no one else responded over there, some days i really wonder if i'm invisible there. ...):

So this morning I'm at my usual convenience store (which doubles as a liquor store) getting coffee. I happen to look at the liquor section, and what do I see?

Gibley's Gin on sale!

I do a double take and look again a little closer.

Oh. Gilbey's Gin. Not as fun.

Thought I'd share that.

Ted D said...

Gibley's!!!

Classic, Redbeard. And I agree; Gilbey's just doesn't create the same effect.

Redbeard76 said...

I knew you'd appreciate the gibley's. I don't know what's up with everyone else...

Crystal said...

I always think that the skanks won't bother me anymore, for all the reasons you've mentioned above, but i'm only kidding myself.

This morning, as I stepped out of North Station to walk to the office, I could sense evil in the air. Then I realized, "that's what it is, the skanks are in town". :)

I've been in the midst of minor anxiety attacks awaiting tonight's showdown. First place isn't even between the Sox/skanks, but my pure need to see them go down still burns as much as it ever has. This day is passing by painfully slow. The fact that Beckett is pitching tonight makes me that much more insane. :)

Ted D said...

Any use of "gibleys" is always good, Redbeard.

Crys, I know what you mean. I don't know what happens to me when they play the Yankees but it's not pretty. Try and relax!