CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Strange Days at Fenway Park

Yep. That's Manny, inside the Monster, apparently talking on a cell phone during a pitching change today. Let's just hope it's not HIS phone, 'cause I'm pretty sure Tito doesn't want his left fielder running around the outfield with his Blackberry in his back pocket.

After watching today's game however, nothing would surprise me. Took the kids to play Putt Putt and when I got home it was the 4th inning and the Sox were winning 4-3. I thought I'd missed out on all the fun by that point, but man, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Up 6-5 in the bottom of the 7th with 2 men on, Tek sent a sinking shot into CF that the Ump initially ruled a catch, even though replays showed that without a doubt it was trapped. (Which brings up instant replay in baseball, which is a post all by itself. Still not sure how I feel about it, but if the Umpires had blown this, rest assured I'd be railing like a madman on the side of the tech geeks until I was blue in the face.) After an Ump huddle, the correct call was made, Ron Gardenhire lost his ever loving mind, and the Sox were on their way to scoring 7 runs in the 7th, 5 more in the 8th, and sweeping the Twins out of Fenway to the tune of 18-5.

Some days you sit down and watch your team flail away at the ball like drunks swinging at a Joe Girardi pinata; other days? Well, that's what days like today are for. 23 hits, 18 runs, Ellsbury cranking out 4 hits in one game, and Sean Casey doing the best David Ortiz impression this side of JD Drew in the month of June. Josh Beckett goes to 9-5, the MFY's beat the Rays, and all of a sudden we're 2 games out of first place.

With a few breaks here and there, the Orioles being the Orioles, and hoping Joe Maddon responds to that Craig's List add I placed in Tampa this week (That's all I'm saying about that. The Fed's read this stuff you know; I can't incriminate myself any further. Let's just say if he buys it, we won't need to worry about the Rays again. EVER.) and the Sox will be sitting a game up in 1st place come the All-Star break next week.

To top off the day, I got to read "Dad, Jackie, and Me" to Rakes at story time tonight.

Getting to tell your first born son about Jackie Robinson?

Not the worse way to end the day.

12 comments:

Tree Newt said...

How come I never get to see those games?

And I say to the Rays:

It's a LONG season pups.

Ted D said...

I just got lucky being off this week, Newt.

It. Was. AWESOME.

I still say come September 1st, they'll be in our rear view mirror. Guys who haven't been here before don't know what the stretch run is like.

Of course I'm the guy who said they'd be floundering at the All-Star break, so what do I know?

Tex said...

I almost lost it for us today. I was "watching" on the game stat with yahoo when the Twins scored and it was 6-5...I got scared and clicked it off. I returned thinking the game would be over but it was in the bottom of the 8th but when i saw the score i figured it was safe to finish out the 3 outs in the 9th. WooooooooooooooooooooT

Ted D said...

Yeah. We're a normal bunch.

Tex, your self-sacrifice is awesome; I gotta say I couldn't do it. But whatever you're doing, keep it up. I think it's working.

Great game today. Just not real sure what I'm supposed to do tomorrow night. Actually TALK to my wife and stuff?

Tex said...

I've just got so much work going on, I can't really focus on baseball this season like I'm accustomed to. I'm going to meet up with friends in austin for dinner and drinks. Im hoping angela from the SG board is gonna try and meet me too. Right now, I'm working on policy's for work. :(

Ted D said...

Sounds like you are really busy, Tex. Hope you get to meet up with Angela, and the Policy writing sounds like a blast! ;)

HorshamScouse said...

Great post Ted and that bit with Rakes and Jackie Robinson brought a lump to my throat.

I'm just about to rerun the game on mlb.tv. It's not every day the Sox go from scraping a one run win to a classless blowout in two innings.

Anonymous said...

This is probably way before you time but that picture of Manny you have up there reminds me of that show Laugh In. The hosts would knock on those little doors and the star would open it and blurt out some joke or other.

Beth said...

Ted - that is a great picture! I could only listen yesterday - did they show this on NESN too? Have a great off-day - yes, talk to your wife!

Ted D said...

Scouser, I gotta say; getting to read him that and answer all the questions he had about Jackie and "why was everybody so mean to him" put a lump in MY throat. And I agree; a classless blowout was just what the doctor ordered.

Edge, I'm older than you remember. Of course I remember laugh in; and Manny would fit right in.

Beth, when I saw the picture I knew I had to link it. I watched from the 4th inning on and never saw it on NESN, so they must have missed it.

//Have a great off-day - yes, talk to your wife!//

Aww, man. ;)

Crystal said...

Only 2 games back! Woot! I'll be bringing the SG mojo with me to Fenway Fri night for the "return" of Clay! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO

:)

Ted D said...

Crystal, it's nice to get on a winning streak after that road trip. Have fun Friday night!